Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3750 Stack Preemption

orielrose2011
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

I have a stack of 5 switches and have configured switch 1 as master however i want to setup some preemption feature for it incase if sw1 reloads it should become master again.

i have read on cisco site that there is a way to do it however conud not find it..

thanks

Oriel

6 Replies 6

Amit Aneja
Level 3
Level 3

Oriel,

I don't think this is possible. If I look at the priority values for master election, it is from 1 to 15.

Even if you assign 1 to a switch, this switch can become master if there are no competing members in the stack. There is no Preemption in Master election as well. So, this is not possible.

Regards,

Amit

andtoth
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Oriel,

Once there's an active switch elected in the stack, there's no preemption. You can configure each member with a priority value from 1 to 15.

Please review the following documentations for more details, examples and frequently asked questions.

Creation and Management of Catalyst 3750 Switch Stacks

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_configuration_example09186a00807811ad.shtml

Managing Switch Stacks

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_55_se/configuration/guide/swstack.html

Best regards,

Andras

Yes this is what i understand however i have seen it somewhere in cisco documentation that preemption is possible.

Let me find out that doucment and i will get back to you guys.

thanks for your help.

Oriel X

And can you guys please tell me how i can ask a new quesiton.

I am trying to start a private discussion and its asking me to select the people which i dont want.

i want to ask everybody just like i asked this question.

After selecting the topic where you want to post, you'll need to click "Start a discussion" in the Actions pane on the right hand side.

Andras

ankugarg
Level 3
Level 3

I am sure there is no preemtion possible...Only way to do is the reload the newly elected master,after the old master comes up..This will retrigger the election,and old master will win

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card