thank you very much

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Edwin Summers
Level 3
Level 3

Straight to the source:

http://www.cisco.com/cisco/software/navigator.html

Note that a CCO (Cisco login) and valid service contract are required for many items.

Best regards,

Ed

View solution in original post

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The    Author of this posting offers the information contained within this    posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that    there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any  purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and  should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind.  Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In    no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever  (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or  profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's  information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such  damage.

Posting

Main Cisco site.  Select "Support" then "Downloads".  NB: you'll likely need an active support contract tied to your account.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You should always download them from Cisco's site. You'll need to have a valid smartnet account and login to have the ability to download them.

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Edwin Summers
Level 3
Level 3

Straight to the source:

Note that a CCO (Cisco login) and valid service contract are required for many items.

Best regards,

Ed

Hi ,

When I clickon that link I get a blank page and no reply.

What could be the problem? Thanks

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The    Author of this posting offers the information contained within this    posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that    there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any  purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and  should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind.  Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In    no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever  (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or  profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's  information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such  damage.

Posting

Main Cisco site.  Select "Support" then "Downloads".  NB: you'll likely need an active support contract tied to your account.

larlid001
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

Is there a student support service contract? I can't download IOS images for my router. 

I've found different links "for a service support account" which are broken.

When I read the words "service support account" I suspect you have to pay for downloading a software update, right? 

Thanks, Lars.

Lars

Yes you are correct that you have to pay for downloading a software update. There have been suggestions that Cisco should offer some program to make it possible for students to access software but so far Cisco does not offer this.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I can understand that there is extra charge for extra functionality (extra licenses), but if there are security flaws, maybe those updates could be free?

An easy comparison to make is with Microsoft and Apple OSes. 

Another comparison to make is with a car with a security flaw. The car manufacturer have to fix the problem for the customer. 

I guess there is some new functionality embedded in the new versions? So it's like moving from windows XP to Windows 8.

A student program would be nice. Just so you can try to make an update, and see what problems you might run into. Can it be done in Packet Tracer?

Thanks for the quick answer.

Lars.

Lars

You make an interesting point about security flaws and software updates. In many of the vulnerability announcements that Cisco releases there is a provision for routers not under maintenance contract to obtain a software update that addresses the vulnerability directly from Cisco TAC and without charge.

So let us consider a couple matters of practicality: 1) Is your router eligible for support updates? For every router model Cisco establishes a date after which that model is no longer sold and then a date after which it will not support the software. So what model of router do you have and has it reached its End Of Support Date? If your router is past its End Of Support Date then there will be no security updates. But if your router is still an officially supported model then there is some possibility that you could get an update from TAC. 2) Officially Cisco says that it will do software replacement for original licensed purchaser of the router. Their rationale is that while hardware can be sold and transferred to a new owner, that the software is sold to the original owner and software is not transferable. If you are not the original licensed owner of the router then TAC may hang up on that. But it may be worth it to contact Cisco TAC and ask them about security updates and see what happens.

I am not expert in Packet Tracer and will leave it to other readers in the forum to address that part of your question.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: