Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN installation terminates due to inexisting previous version

hannoscholtz65
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everybody

when setting up my Win7 64bit machine, I transferred several programs and settings from my old XP machine, unfortunately including the VPN client. VPN never worked, so I uninstalled it. All attempts to install ended in an "Error 28000" message.

I have even gone through the list of manual uninstall topics:

1)    Remove the following keys:

a) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Cisco Systems > VPN Client               removed
     b) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Deterministic Networks                        did not exist

c) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Microsoft > Windows >  CurrentVersion > Uninstall  >{5624c000-b109-11d4-9db4-00e0290fcac5}

did not exist
     d) any file starting with DNE*, including system32/dneinobj.dll                                    removed

e) oem*.inf and oem*.pnf files

f) Delete the following file: from %SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\cvpndrv.sys

g) A file system32/CSGina.dll                                                                                  did not exist

2)    Reboot the machine

3)    Disable any firewall if any is installed.

Nothing helped, the "Error 28000" message still prevails.

Is there a list of the tests through which the install routine determines whether there is a previous version installed?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Hanno,

Please try this:

In "Regedit":

Search for "Deterministic Networks" and delete it.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SOFTWARE\Deterministic Networks

Search with the following keyword in the registry for the following items, under "Uninstall" or "Components" folders and delete any related entries.

Vpngui

Vpnapi 

Cisco

CVPND

CVPNDRA

Ipsecdialer

Then, run Ccleaner "registry cleaner", reload the machine and try again.

Thanks

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Hi Hanno,

Have you run Ccleaner on the specific machine?

Have you tried to install a previous version like "vpnclient-winx64-msi-5.0.07.0290-k9.exe"?

During the client installation, have you tried defining the "Program Files" folder and not the "Program Files (x86)" folder?

Let me know.

Portu.

Hi Portu

thanks for responding!

• Ccleaner: Yes, still done, several times.
  • Defining program folder: Is not possible. The only option I can  choose is the install language, directly afterwards the error message  occurs.
  • Version 290: Tried just now. The same message as before, but interestingly it is now referring to an allegedly existing version of itself, not of version 440. That means something drives the install routine to take itself for an existing version.

Do you understand that?

Hanno

Hi Hanno,

Please try this:

In "Regedit":

Search for "Deterministic Networks" and delete it.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SOFTWARE\Deterministic Networks

Search with the following keyword in the registry for the following items, under "Uninstall" or "Components" folders and delete any related entries.

Vpngui

Vpnapi 

Cisco

CVPND

CVPNDRA

Ipsecdialer

Then, run Ccleaner "registry cleaner", reload the machine and try again.

Thanks

Yeah! This was it. The key you mentioned was already deleted, but the search brought soo many results! I hadn't ever thought how many additional entries were already left in the registry - it took me about an hour to delete them all.

But at the end - it worked!! Javier Portuguez, thank you very much, this was REALLY a great help.

All the best! :-) :-) :-)

Good day Hanno,

I am very happy

Count on us at any time.

Portu.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: