cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configure and Troubleshoot Wired and Wireless Networks Using Cisco Prime Infrastructure

ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Read the bioWith Tejas Shah

Welcome to the Cisco Support Community Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to learn and ask questions troubleshoot, and manage your converged wireless and wired network using Cisco Prime Infrastructure with Cisco expert Tejas Shah. This is a continuation of the live webcast. Cisco Prime Infrastructure is built with scalability and extensibility in mind. It has the ability to manage global enterprise networks with thousands of network devices and hundreds of thousands of access devices, or smaller commercial networks with the same level of control and resiliency.

Tejas Shah is a senior technical marketing engineer for Cisco Prime Infrastructure and Collaboration products. He has deployed Cisco Prime Collaboration Manager at various customer sites to help customers monitor and troubleshoot their video infrastructure. In addition, he has been part of the Network Operations Center team at Cisco Live events for six years. Shah joined Cisco in 1995 and has been in the Technical Assistance Center team supporting various network management system products for more than six years.

Remember to use the rating system to let Tejas know if you have received an adequate response.

Tejas might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Remember that you can continue the conversation on the

Network Management Community

shortly after the event.

This event lasts through April 12, 2013. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

Webcast related links:

40 Replies 40

marce1000
VIP
VIP

I am currently looking for guidelines as how to configure wired traffic stats in cisco prime infrastructure 1.3 ?

Can't find obvious examples, do I need to use Netflow on my switches, or does Netflow only
work with Prime 1.2 ?

Some doc says that ISE can be used for wired traffic stats , but I can't find immediate configuration
templates (for switches). Do I need radius accounting (for instance). Google didn't point me in the good direction(s), for

starters.

- All hints are welcome !

Marc.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

marce1000 wrote:

I am currently looking for guidelines as how to configure wired traffic stats in cisco prime infrastructure 1.3 ?

Can't find obvious examples, do I need to use Netflow on my switches, or does Netflow only
work with Prime 1.2 ?

==> If you are just looking for enabling traffing statistics, there is a templated called "Collecting Traffic Statistics" which can be used to enable netflow on devices.

Some doc says that ISE can be used for wired traffic stats , but I can't find immediate configuration
templates (for switches). Do I need radius accounting (for instance). Google didn't point me in the good direction(s), for

starters.

==> I'm not quite sure on how much ISE will be able to provide from a wired side.   I'm not sure if ISE will be able to go as deep as Prime Infrastructure goes today.   On the flip-side, Prime Infrastructure doesn't go deeper when it comes to security logging.  May be that's where ISE could be leveraged.

- All hints are welcome !

Marc.

dean holroyd
Level 1
Level 1

I saw the demo of prime infa at cisco live and thought it could be useful for our corporate IT systems, so I downloaded 1.3 from nmsevals. I was disappointed to see that 1.3 is essentially an NCS with very few features from LMS included. I recall that you were using 2.0 for your demo, so when will that be available, and will it have all the features of LMS?

Second question... I recall that LMS used a rebadged version of HP network automation for NCCM, and that you will be dropping that in favour of technology from your Pari aquisition. When will that appear, and what will it offer over HP. I ask as I am currently evaluating infoblox as an NCCM solution.

Thanks

I saw the demo of prime infa at cisco live and thought it could be useful for our corporate IT systems, so I downloaded 1.3 from nmsevals. I was disappointed to see that 1.3 is essentially an NCS with very few features from LMS included. I recall that you were using 2.0 for your demo, so when will that be available, and will it have all the features of LMS?

Prime Infrastructure 2.0 should be out around June time frame.   We are actively migrating all the features from LMS into Prime Infrastructure.   Due to the sheer volume, we need to prioritize that.

Second question... I recall that LMS used a rebadged version of HP network automation for NCCM, and that you will be dropping that in favour of technology from your Pari aquisition. When will that appear, and what will it offer over HP. I ask as I am currently evaluating infoblox as an NCCM solution.

We are actively trying to migrate the PARI engine into Prime Infrastructure.  I believe only some of the compliance reports will be part of 2.0, and the rest of it will be coming in future releases.

jharris.ms
Level 1
Level 1

We use PI for wireless monitoring and are interested in the switch trace feature of rogue APs; however, were told that 1.2 does not support this behind NAT.  I was wondering if this feature will work behind NAT in either 1.3 or 2.0?  Would also like to know if there's a way to automatically classify an unclassified APs as friendly if it meets certain criteria?  and if not is there a way to do bulk classification of unclassified APs or is this done per AP.  Right now the only way I can classify an AP is per AP and haven't figure out how to do this in a bulk method.

After attending the webcast there seems to be a lot of features that are being added in 2.0 with troubleshooting and configuration etc.  Are these features available over NAT and multi-tenant?  We manage numerous device behind NAT and would like to deploy PI on these networks.  Thanks.

jharris.ms wrote:

We use PI for wireless monitoring and are interested in the switch trace feature of rogue APs; however, were told that 1.2 does not support this behind NAT.  I was wondering if this feature will work behind NAT in either 1.3 or 2.0?  Would also like to know if there's a way to automatically classify an unclassified APs as friendly if it meets certain criteria?  and if not is there a way to do bulk classification of unclassified APs or is this done per AP.  Right now the only way I can classify an AP is per AP and haven't figure out how to do this in a bulk method.

==> For Rogue AP support behind NAT/PAT  on switch port this is very difficult in  the industry.   I'm not sure if anybody in the industry actually does it.

After attending the webcast there seems to be a lot of features that are being added in 2.0 with troubleshooting and configuration etc.  Are these features available over NAT and multi-tenant?  We manage numerous device behind NAT and would like to deploy PI on these networks.  Thanks.

seriously, thats all you can say about it? i didn't realize cisco shied away from hard questions and actually assisting customers who are trying to be invovative vs following what everybody else in the industry is doing.  it would of been more

appropriate to say you dont know.  

smwool
Level 1
Level 1

Can you please post the Cisco links to assist with migration from WCS 7.0.230.0 to Prime Infrastructure NCS 1.1?

tshah
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You should be able to use the following links:

Migrating WCS to NCS

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-26973

Cisco Prime NCS 1.1 Deployment Guide

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10315/products_tech_note09186a0080bba943.shtml#migrating

ARJAN TOXOPEUS
Level 4
Level 4

Hi, I'm having trouble in Prime 1.3 seeing the wired clients and getting all the devices in the Device center in the managed state. Can you point to the information on how to fix this?

See if the following link for PI 1.3 helps with client management:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/prime_infrastructure/1.3/configuration/guide/clientmgmt.html

ErikaOliva
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I have a quesition regarding AP templates:

Is there a template to turn off the radios of any new AP joining a controller for first time? this is to avoid new and unconfigured APs to propagate the controller's SSIDs.

ErikaOliva wrote:

Hello, I have a quesition regarding AP templates:

Is there a template to turn off the radios of any new AP joining a controller for first time? this is to avoid new and unconfigured APs to propagate the controller's SSIDs.

I'm not sure if there is an easy way to do this  using templates today. The “operational’  way  to achieve this is to have all your WLAN’ s defined above the initial “16”..    the first 16 are always’ s advertised on all Default AP Groups and by default a  new AP get’s put into this group on WLC.   If you have WLAN 1~16 either not  defined at all or all defined as shutdown placeholders any new AP will not  advertise any SSID until it’s moved to a production AP group with correct SSID’s  defined above 16.

smwool
Level 1
Level 1

I asked this question during the webinar:

Can you EASILY use Prime to troubleshoot co-channel interferance problems in the 802.11G spectrum?

Tejas said this was a "great question" and that he wanted to investigate further prior to answering and would post on here.

Thank you.

Shawn

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: