cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ask the Expert: Configuring and Troubleshooting Uniform Resource Identifier (URI) Dialing and Intercluster Lookup Service (ILS) on CUCM 9.x

ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Configuring and Troubleshooting Uniform Resource Identifier (URI) Dialing and Intercluster Lookup Service (ILS) on CUCM 9.0 with Amit DivekarWith Amit Divekar

Welcome to the Cisco Support Community Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to learn and ask questions on how to set up and troubleshoot URI Dialing and InterCluster Lookup Service on CUCM 9.x with Cisco expert Amit Divekar. In this event Amit can answer questions on how to provision URI dialing, making calls using DN and via URI, how to configure ILS, test URI dialing across clusters, and troubleshooting issues with URI dialing, among others.

Amit Divekar is a support engineer in the Cisco Technical Assistance Center in India. An expert on Cisco Unified Communications Manager, Cisco Unified Communication Applications, and Voice Gateways, he has been helping customers as well as Cisco partners with installation, configuring, and troubleshooting UC products for four years. He holds CCIE in Voice (#30859), CCNP in Voice, CCNA, and RHCE certifications.

Remember to use the rating system to let Amit know if you have received an adequate response.

Amit might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Remember that you can continue the conversation on the Collaboration Voice, & Video IP Telephony subcommunity shortly after the event.This event lasts through Friday May 3, 2013. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other Cisco Support Community members.

13 Replies 13

Hi Amit,

I have set up ILS in a lab environment.

• I have 2 separate CUCM v 9.0 clusters both using the same domain name.
  • both clusters integrate using LDAP with the same AD server, however are referencing 2 different geographically simulated OUs (representing 2 different office locations).
  • I have sync'd using LDAP and using the "mail" fileds for directory URIs
  • i have 1 CSF device configured per cluster and have it associated to an end user on each cluster.  This is then reflected on the durectory URI setting on the DN
  • both clusters have separate cluster ids identifed in the enterprise parameters
  • both clusters have the same domains configured
  • under advanced features -ILS config, i see that URI Syncronization status is "up to date"
  • one cluster is hub, one is spoke
  • they are using TLS certs, each other's Tomcat-trust cert has been uploaded into the other's store in OS admin.
  • each cluster is referenced in Advanced features ->cluster view
  • from the CLI i can see both peers from both clusters using the "utils ils showpeerinfo" command,
  • from the Inter directory URI configuration i have "exchange directory URI catalogues with remote clusters" checked along with a locally specific route srting.
  • I have a SIP route pattern to a destination route string (same route string configured on the other cluster) pointing to a SIP trunk on either cluster

i cannot seem to exchange URIs. 

can you give me any other troubleshooting advice?

thanks

Stuart

Hello Stuart,

Thanks a lot for your question, thanks for clarifying what you have already done

Just to clarify this:-      

• CUCM uses the Intercluster Lookup Service (ILS) to support intercluster URI dialing.

• Using ILS, you can create large networks of remote Cisco Unified Communications Manager clusters. ILS also contains an optional directory URI replication feature that allows the clusters in an ILS network to replicate their directory URIs to the other clusters in the ILS network.

• Directory URI Replication is configured individually for each cluster. Be aware that if you leave the feature disabled on a single cluster, it can affect other clusters in the network. For example, if directory URI replication is configured across the ILS network but is left disabled on a single hub cluster, the spoke clusters that are connected to that hub cannot exchange directory URIs with the rest of the ILS network.

To enable URI Replication in a cluster, check the Exchange Directory URIs with Remote Clusters check box that appears in Intercluster Directory URI Configuration. When this check box is checked, each cluster sends the following to the other clusters in the ILS network.

Your config looks fine, however it would be nice if you could clarify the following

1. It seems that you have done the basic requirement, however could you please double-check that you have "Exchange Directory URI Catalogs with Remote Clusters" checked on all nodes especially on the Hub Cluster under Call Routing Intercluster Directory URI Configuration, hit export & open the .csv file to check if there are any Directory URI's populated in it.

2. Please ensure that you have Use "Fully Qualified Domain Name in SIP Requests" in the Sip Profile under Device > Device Settings > Sip Profile

3. On the Sip Trunk, please ensure that the "Calling and Connected Party Info Format" is set to Deliver URI and DN in connected party if available.

4. How are we making test calls & what are you using, you referenced CSF Devices is jabber used, if yes then what version is used

-  Could you clarify what happens when you try to make a directory URI from one cluster to another. Do you receive a busy/reorder tone.

-  Are we using any Partitions & CSS's while testing this.

Feel free to reach out if there are any further questions & id be glad to help.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for your question.

Regards,

Amit

Hi Amit,

thanks for your response.

• "Exchange Directory URI Catalogs with Remote Clusters"

is checked on both clusters.  (this is a very basic set up - when i say 2 clusters - it is effectively 2 separate publisher nodes)

• under Call Routing Intercluster Directory URI Configuration, hit export & open

on both clusters, this opens a .csv popultaed with the single 1 URI i have created on each cluster (once i'd associated each CSF to the end user).

• Please ensure that you have Use "Fully Qualified Domain Name in SIP Requests" in the Sip Profile under Device > Device Settings > Sip Profile

This is set

• On the Sip Trunk, please ensure that the "Calling and Connected Party Info Format" is set to Deliver URI and DN in connected party if available.

This is set

There are no CSS' or partitions, the directory URI Alias partition is null.

I am not making any test calls, what i am expecting to see is a single imported URI from each cluster on the corresponding hub or spoke cluster

under Call Routing ->Inter Cluster Directory URI->imported Directory URIs

Am i correct in assuming that this should be the case?

many thanks

Stuart

Hello Stuart,

Thanks a lot for your promp response, Only 3rd party directory URIs that were manually imported into the cluster should show up under Imported Directory URIs.

Local directory URIs will not be reflected in there.Local directory URIs are saved in the local Unified CM database. All other directory URIs are saved in CSV files that are maintained by ILS. When directory URI replication is enabled, ILS exchanges all types of directory URIs to the other clusters in the ILS network.

Following are some Directory URI catalog types

Within an individual cluster, directory URIs can be categorized as follows:

- Local directory URIs—Directory URIs that are configured on the local system and which are saved in the local Unified CM database.

- Remote directory URIs—Directory URIs that were configured in another cluster and then replicated to this cluster.

Imported Directory URI catalogs—Third party directory URIs that were manually imported into this cluster.

- Remote Imported Directory URI catalogs—Third party directory URIs that were manually imported into another cluster in the ILS network and then replicated to this cluster with ILS.

Local directory URIs are saved in the local Unified CM database. All other directory URIs are saved in CSV files that are maintained by ILS. When directory URI replication is enabled, ILS exchanges all types of directory URIs to the other clusters in the ILS network.

Do let me know if this answers your question.

Regards,

Amit.

Hi Amit,

thank you for clarifying this point for me.

i think i am nearly there.

if i login to the hub cluster and run the

utils ils lookup "URI from remote cluster"

a route string appears that matches my SIP route pattern to the spoke cluster.

if i run the same command from the Spoke cluster (referencing a hub URI), nothing appears.  I will review the configuration again,

thanks

Stuart

Hi Amit,

FYI all works fine.

I am using CUCM 9.0 and was referencing a URI without remembering that 9.0 host portion is case sensitive,

I think i will be good to go ahead and test now,

many thanks again

Stuart

Hello Stuart,

That is wonderful, let me know how the testing goes, would be glad to helpout.

Cheers,

Amit.

Hi Amit,

I had attended the Webex on UC few months back in which term Alpha URI was mentioned and can be used for dialing to IP phones users using their names.This is what I know.

I just wanted to know the pre-requisties in terms of IP phones models, CUCM exact version , any extra hardware and benefits to customer of implementing URI if we approach customer having CUCM 9 setup.

regds,

aman

Hello Aman,

Thanks a lot for your question, URI Dialing was introduced in CUCM Version 9.0,Starting with Cisco Unified CM 9.0, provisioning and dialing of alphanumeric directory uniform resource identifiers (URIs) is supported by Unified CM.

To know what phones are supported, i would request you to navigate to Cisco Unified Reportings Page on your CUCM 9.x, then select Unified CM Phone Feature List & select URI Dialing in the requested feature that you wish to check, in this instance URI Dialing.

- Following is the list of supported phones for your reference:-

Cisco 6901SCCPURI Dialing
Cisco 6911SCCPURI Dialing
Cisco 6921SCCPURI Dialing
Cisco 6941SCCPURI Dialing
Cisco 6945SCCPURI Dialing
Cisco 6961SCCPURI Dialing
Cisco 8941SCCPURI Dialing
Cisco 8945SCCPURI Dialing
Cisco 6901SIPURI Dialing
Cisco 6911SIPURI Dialing
Cisco 6921SIPURI Dialing
Cisco 6941SIPURI Dialing
Cisco 6945SIPURI Dialing
Cisco 6961SIPURI Dialing
Cisco 7906SIPURI Dialing
Cisco 7911SIPURI Dialing
Cisco 7931SIPURI Dialing
Cisco 7941SIPURI Dialing
Cisco 7941G-GESIPURI Dialing
Cisco 7942SIPURI Dialing
Cisco 7945SIPURI Dialing
Cisco 7961SIPURI Dialing
Cisco 7961G-GESIPURI Dialing
Cisco 7962SIPURI Dialing
Cisco 7965SIPURI Dialing
Cisco 7970SIPURI Dialing
Cisco 7971SIPURI Dialing
Cisco 7975SIPURI Dialing
Cisco 8941SIPURI Dialing
Cisco 8945SIPURI Dialing
Cisco 8961SIPURI Dialing
Cisco 9951SIPURI Dialing
Cisco 9971SIPURI Dialing
Cisco ATA 187SIPURI Dialing
Cisco DX650SIPURI Dialing
Cisco IP CommunicatorSIPURI Dialing
Cisco Jabber for TabletSIPURI Dialing
Cisco Unified Client Services FrameworkSIPURI Dialing
Cisco Unified Communications for RTXSIPURI Dialing
Cisco Unified Personal CommunicatorSIPURI Dialing
Cisco VXC 6215SIPURI Dialing
Universal Device TemplateSIPURI Dialing

This information is extraced from my lab cucm version 9.1.

- I would recommend that you use cucm 9.1.1.20000-5 which is available on cisco.com.

- Any supported hardware is fine, but we have a lot of customers migrating to UCS these days.

-  A URI could be considered just as an alternative to a DN, For endpoints registered to Unified CM, this adds dialing a directory URI as a new dialing habit.

Please Note:-

As per RFC 3261 (section 19.1.4, URI Comparison) comparison of the userinfo of SIP URIs has to be case-sensitive. According to this standardized behaviors, Amit@cisco.com and amit@cisco.com are not to be considered equivalent. When routing directory URIs, Unified CM respects this standard and looks for a case-sensitive full match of the user portion and a case-insensitive match of the host portion. To avoid confusion, Cisco highly recommends provisioning only directory URIs with all lowercase userinfo so that all directory URIs can reliably be dialed by entering all lowercase information.

Unified CM 9.1 and later releases can be configured to always use case-insensitive comparison of the user info portion of directory URIs. This can be achieved by configuring the enterprise parameter URI Lookup Policy accordingly. This setting applies to matching locally configured directory URIs and also to matching directory URIs for which an ILS lookup is done. The default setting of this enterprise parameter defines standard compliant case-sensitive matching of the user info portion of directory URIs.

Cisco is also promoting a new Drive-to-9 intiative where you could get attractive discounts if you plan to upgrade your existing CUCM to 9.1, please reach out to your local accounts team for further clarifications on this.

Do let me know if i have managed to answer your question, if not do let me know your doubts & i'd be glad to clarify them out for you.

Cheers,

Amit.

Hi Amit,

Thanks for prompt reply.One more query:

I was going through the query asked by Mr. Stuart .In case , if we have a single cluster , then, we do not require ILS service.Please advice.

Secondly, how do we dial from IP phone using URI .Do we get any separate directory like Corporate Directory available on IP phone?

regds,

aman

Hello Aman,

Thanks a lot for your question, if you just have a single node then call-routing is done just like a basic DN to DN call,Calls to URIs on the local cluster are routed using partitions and search spaces & you do not need ILS in this instance.

When calls are to be made between different clusters,in this instance,URIs are replicated between clusters using the Inter-cluster Lookup Service (ILS).  When a call is made a lookup is done in ILS to figure out what SIP trunk to route the call out of.

To Dial from a phone hit the new call key > hit the more key you then have the options to type alphabets as well as numbers, i will try to attach a screen-shot from my lab phone at the earliest.

Do let me know if i was able to answer your question & feel free to ask if there are any further clarifications needed & i'd be glad to help out.

Cheers,

Amit.

Hi Amit,

Thanks a lot for answering my queries.

In case of any more queries, I will post it.

regds,

aman

Hello Aman,

I am glad that it helped,Do feel free to reach out if there are any concerns.

Cheers,

Amit.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: