cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ask the Expert: Installing, Configuring and Troubleshooting Cisco Unified Communications Manager(CUCM)

ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Installing, Configuring and Troubleshooting Cisco Unified Communications Manager(CUCM) with Harmit SinghWith Harmit Singh

Welcome to the Cisco Support Community Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to learn and ask questions about Cisco Unified Communications Manager, ranging from install / upgrade / migration paths to general best practices to configuration and troubleshooting of the product

This is a continuation of the live Facebook Forum.

Harmit Singh is a technical leader with the High Touch Technical Services (HTTS) Unified Communications team based in Bangalore. He has broad experience in Cisco Unified Communications infrastructure solutions. He has 10 years of experience working with large enterprise and service provider networks. He also holds a CCIE certification (20012) in Voice as well as Red Hat and VMware certifications.

Remember to use the rating system to let Harmit know if you have received an adequate response.

Harmit might not be able to answer each question because of the volume expected during this event. Remember that you can continue the conversation on the IP Telephony community IP Telephony  shortly after the event. This event lasts through Friday, May 31, 2013. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other Cisco Support Community members.

23 Replies 23

kkhanis
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Harmit,

Wondering  if you could shed some light on the possibility of integrating mutiple ADs (different forests  and domains) with a single CUCM. The CUCM has a limit of 5 ldap  directories but even more impotantly only a single search scope.

The  following document describes using ADLDS which would solve the multiple  AD scenario but would this solve the single search scope issue as well  (same goes for CUC)?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_configuration_example09186a0080b2b103.shtml

Any pointers appreciated.

Thanks,

Kamran

Hi Kamran,

I reviewed your query and have not tested this scenario as of yet. However, the CUCM SRND does clearly state the following:

Unified CM Multi-Forest LDAP Synchronization

A Unified CM deployment using a multi-forest LDAP infrastructure can be  supported by using Active Directory Lightweight Directory Services  (AD LDS) as a single forest view integrating with the multiple disparate  forests. The integration also requires the use of LDAP filtering (see User Filtering for Directory Synchronization and Authentication). For full details, refer to the document on How to Configure Unified Communication Manager Directory Integration in a Multi-Forest Environment, available at

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_configuration_example09186a0080b2b103.shtml

So I would say, you're on the right track! Hope this helps!

--
Regards,
Harmit.

Dear Harmit,

As i have read in books once a CUCM is integrated with AD the existing local users are deleted in a 1or 2 days, but in my CUCM the local users did'nt delete,, i have deleted them manually,what can be cause ???

My Active directory fields are synchronizing except the telephone field, whenever i restart the CUCM and then when i performa full sync then only the telephone fields (new extension) is reflecting in the CUCM, what can be the cause

I want to know how can i troubleshoot such types of problems

Thanks

Hi Clark,

For your 1st query, it sounds like you're running UCM 9.x (taking a guess here, please correct me if I'm wrong). There is a new feature introduced in 9.0 i.e. Support for LDAP and Manual User Concurrently.

CUCM to allow the simultaneous support for both the LDAP synchronized and manually added end users. The CUCM end users are not marked for deletion during sync and are present in the CUCM DB along with the LDAP synchronized users. The non LDAP attributes for the LDAP synchronized users can also be edited. The status should be changed to inactive only when a user is marked for deletion.

In pre 9.0, as the LDAP Sync is enabled the locally configured users are marked as inactive and hence kept for deletion. After the sync is completed all the LDAP users are marked as active and listed on the End User page.

We cannot ADD/Delete the users after the sync and modifying LDAP attributes is also not allowed. Once the LDAP is disabled then the LDAP users are marked inactive for Garbage Collection and we can again add the locally configured users.

As per this feature both the Local CUCM End Users and LDAP users can be active at the same time. When LDAP sync is enabled the local users will still be active and after performing a sync, users which gets imported from LDAP Directory will also be active. The Add/Modify/Delete Local users functionality would also be enabled. When we disable LDAP Sync only the LDAP Users would be marked as inactive for the Garbage collection while the local users will still be marked as active. We also provide an option to the administrator to convert the LDAP User to the local user.

I would suggest reviewing the SRND for more details on the same:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/srnd/collab09/directry.html#wp1067953

For the 2nd issue you mentioned, are you saying only the telephone numbers are not syncing from AD to CUCM? If you perform a full sync without rebooting the CUCM server, do the telephone numbers still not sync up? Can you elaborate more with some examples and screenshots please? Also, kindly reproduce the issue and collect the dirsync logs (debug level) along with the screenshots of what you see for any one user. Do mention the timestamp of doing a full sync as well as any additional info that would be useful.

Hope this helps!

--
Regards,
Harmit.

we have few grand stream phones and few Cisco IP phones.

Now, there is also a CUCM, which i am managing and....a third party unknown IP-PBX ( i don't know the model or name ), which is located remotely.

now grand stream phones are registered on the IP-PBX, where it is located remotely. and Cisco IP-Phones are registered by me on the CUCM which is present it the same office.

now the scenario is like....

I have created a SIP trunk on CUCM with the destination IP of that remote unknown IP-PBX. SO CUCM was successfully communicating with remote unknown IP-PBX.

I don't know what they have configured, but grand stream phones are able to communicate with Cisco Ip Phones with an extension of 8888 ( eg : 88882001 ). but when i tried to make a call from Cisco IP phones to Grand stream phones...., the call is not getting placed.

Now, the requirement of customer is like, call processing should be happening between, 

1) Cisco phones - Cisco phone ( working fine )

2) Grand stream phones - Grand stream Phones ( working fine )

3) Grand stream phone - cisco phones ( working fine ) ( with extension of 8888 )

4) Cisco phones - Grand stream phone ( solution required ) ( please suggest what to do )

Thanks & Regards

Sai Bhuwan

Sai,

>From your last requirement,

1. List down what is the Extension range for Grandstream phones.
2. Create SIP trunk with Grandstream PBX.
3. Create a route pattern to GrandStream phones and assign SIP trunk created above.
4. Go to https://Cucmipadd/dna. Then go to phones / ur extension.
5. Enter grandstream extension to test.
6. The output in DNA should show route to destination using new configured SIP trunk.

Try this.

*** Please rate helpful post. Please mark as answer if it solves your problem/query.
regards, Ritesh Desai

Hi Ritesh
many many thanks for your reply,

i have tried it and in DNA, the result is like "RouteThisPattern" , but while i am trying to make a call from 2001 (cisco phone) to 1003 (grand stream phone) call is not getting placed.

Actually there is a thing that i missed to explain you in the previous explained architecture.
The calling from Grand stream phones to cisco phones is not processed directly...., but that calling from grandstream phone to cisco phone is happening through a customercare application.

in that customercare application we can make a call to outside mobile network, then the customer's call can be transferred to the Cisco phone through that application only....

So my doubt is.., the call getting transferred only through customercare application, then will i be able to make a call directly from cisco phones to grandstream phone?

so i have talked to that IP-PBX vendors. He told that he is not getting any hit from my cucm side, while trying to make a call to 1001 ( grand stream phone ).

so, as he is not getting the call placed, he told me that the call processing can be made in two ways 1) SIP trunk 2) peer to peer. So he told to do it in the other way.(peer solution)
He gave me "peer no" , "password" , "IP", "SIP port no".

SO how to configure this peer to peer on CUCM now.

Thanks & Regards
Sai Bhuwan

Hi Sai,

SIP trunk setup using digest authentication is not supported on CUCM. You have to setup authentication based SIP trunk on CUBE-Voice Router with SIP capability.

For setting up SIP trunk with Digest Authentication with Grand stream, you require;

1. username

2. password

3. SIP realm

4. Registrar

For further reference and understanding you can check here 

Very Important NOTE: Cisco recommend to have CUBE and Voice Gateway functionality seperate. Cisco TAC donot support issues occurring due to Voice Gateway and SIP trunk on same Voice Router.

*** Please rate helpful post. Please mark as answer if it solves your problem/query.
regards, Ritesh Desai

Hi, 

But I don't have any routers used here. I directly connect the remote IP-PBX with CUCM through SIP Trunk. 

Can you please suggest a solution without router.

Thanks 

@SaibhuwanSudina70631 Without the gateway scenario, possible solution is to ask the Grandstream to remove the authentication username and password then it becomes NON-AUTHENTICATED sip trunk.

Once the authentication is removed, create the SIP trunk between CUCM and GRAND STREAM.

Use CUCM DNA tool to test from extension to verify the call is routable.

thanks and regards,

Ritesh Desai.

regards, Ritesh Desai

ahmed
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Mr. Harmit,

i am newbie here, can you give some short guide of configuring CUCM for basic IP Telephony, since i have simple Lab use VM, i've installed CUCM 9.1 and IM&Presence 9.1, i succeed to enable Jabber, also IP Phone locally,

then now i will configure router 2900 which have 4 FXO, could you please share to me some like example configuration for voice gateway in CUCM and dial plan ?

thanks for help

Hi Kabiru,

Welcome to Cisco Support Community! With regards to your query, you didn't mention what voice protocol you want to use. In order to have a centralized dial plan, you can use MGCP protocol. Here is a link which talks about the same:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_tech_note09186a008009428e.shtml

Kindly refer to the links mentioned within this one to be able to configure both the voice gateway as well as CUCM.

For a whole list of configuration examples and technotes for voice gateways, kindly refer to the following link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk1077/tech_configuration_examples_list.html

Hope this comes in handy! Look forward to seeing you around on CSC alot more!

--
Regards,
Harmit.

Thank you for this opportunity!

I have one that goes into troubleshooting section: I would like to capture some Skinny messages What will be your recommendation how to do it? I tried to use RTMT but I'm not sure what part of it can help me and will appreciate some detailed instructions, if possible. I'm also guessing VLT could help there but wasn't sure if I have the latest version and if it has to match to the right CUCM version: I found VLT version 2.7.7 under CUCM 8.0 but nothing after that.

Cheers,

Tenaro

Hi Harmit,

I had a very basic question .

Once we take out the SDL /SDI logs from CUCM, do we need a tool to analyze these logs or we just need to open the file and look for errors.

regds,

aman

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: