cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ask the Expert: Configuration, Design, and Troubleshooting of Cisco Nexus 1000

ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Configuration, Design, and Troubleshooting of Cisco Nexus 1000 with Louis WattaWith Louis Watta

Welcome to the Cisco Support Community Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to learn and ask questions about design, configuration, and troubleshooting of Cisco Nexus 1000V Series Switches operating inside VMware ESXi and Hyper-V with Cisco expert Louis Watta. Cisco Nexus 1000V Series Switches deliver highly secure, multitenant services by adding virtualization intelligence to the data center network. With Cisco Nexus 1000V Series Switches, you can have a consistent networking feature set and provisioning process all the way from the virtual machine access layer to the core of the data center network infrastructure.

This is a continuation of the live Webcast.

Louis Watta is a technical leader in the services organization for Cisco. Watta's primary background is in data center technologies: servers (UNIX, Windows, Linux), switches (MDS, Brocade), storage arrays (EMC, NetApp, HP), network switches (Cisco Catalyst and Cisco Nexus), and enterprise service hypervisors (VMware ESX, Hyper-V, KVM, XEN). As a Technical Leader in Technical Services, Louis currently supports beta and early field trials (EFTs) on new Cisco software and hardware. He has more than 15 years of experience in a wide variety of data center applications and is interested in data center technologies oriented toward data center virtualization and orchestration. Prior to Cisco, Louis was a system administrator for GTE Government Systems. He has a bachelor of science degree in computer science from North Carolina State University. .

Remember to use the rating system to let Louis know if you have received an adequate response.

Louis might not be able to answer each question because of the volume expected during this event. Remember that you can continue the conversation on the Data Center community Unified Computing shortly after the event.

This event lasts through Friday, JUne 14, 2013. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other Cisco Support Community members.

Webcast related links:

7 Replies 7

alferna
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I would like to ask Louis if there is a committed date (roadmap) you can share for feature parity achieving between N1Kv for WMware ESXi and N1Kv for Microsoft Hyper-V?

Thanks in advance,

Alvaro

Right now there is only a few features that are not supported on N1Kv on Hyper-V

They are VXLAN and QOS Fair Weighted Queuing. We are currently demoing VXLAN functionality at Microsoft TechEd Conference this week in New Orleans. So VXLAN support should be coming soon. I can't give you a specific timeline.

For Fair Weighted Queuing I'm not sure. In the VMware world we take advantage of NETIOC infrastructure. In the MS world they do not have a NETIOC infrastructure that we can use to create a similar feature.

Code base parity (as in VMware and Hyper-V VSMs running NXOS 5.x) will happen with the next major N1KV release for ESX.

Let me know if that doesn't answer your question.

thanks

louis

Hi Louis. You answered my question completely.

Thank you,

Alvaro

Sarah Staker
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Louis,

I have a couple of questions regarding VEM:

1. What happens if the VEM cannot reach the VSM? Doe is still forward traffic?
  2. Can you run multiple VEMs on the same hypervisor?

Thank you

- Sarah

Sarah,

Great questions.

For #1 yes the VEM will continue to forward traffic if it cannot reach the VSM. It uses its last programming and just continues to forward packets. You will not be able to vMotion or to start any new VMs on the ESXi host while the VEM is in headless mode.

For #2 this question comes up a lot. The answer is only one VEM per hypervisor. If you need to seperate traffic you can have multiple uplinks.

Hopes that answers your question.

louis

Hi Louis,

is it possible to have some VMs connected to N1Kv, other to vDS (vSphere Distributed Switch) and the rest of VMs keep on local vSS (vSphere Standard Switch)? And to keep it really simple, let's say I have only one ESXi with one vCenter in my lab.

Thanks,

Tenaro

Tenaro,

Yes you can use all three virtual switches at the same time on the ESXi host and yes you can do it all on one host. The issue that comes into play is with installing the VEM module on an ESXi host that is running vCenter. VUM doesn't like this sometimes so you might need to load and upgrade the VEM module manually.

louis

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: