Views
Helpful
Replies

Error opening tftp (Timed out)

Yadhu Tony
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I installed a new router and trying to backup the initial configuration to our tftp server. But getting the error " %Error opening tftp://172.17.0.39/corporate-confg (Timed out)"

I can ping the tftp server from router. There is no firewall in between router and tftp server. Other network devices in the same subnet can upload / download from tftp server. Only this router can't use the tftp. I tried to install a seperate tftp server and tried but no hope with the freshly installed router. Router running config is attached. Please help me.

Regards,
Tony

Regards,
Tony

http://yadhutony.blogspot.com
2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

I encountered this problem today. I have 3 routers (two 1841's and one 2801) and 3 switches (all 2950's) for my CCNA lab at home. I have them all connected to my cable internet router (dlink dgl-4500). I had to enter static routes on the dlink to get packets back to the cisco routers.

Two of my routers were each one hop away from the TFTP server (a raspberry pi). Those both connected fine. One of my routers was directly connected to the network with the raspberry pi and it was NOT connecting! It could ping the IP address just fine, but no TFTP. Disabled firewall -- still no joy.

In my case, I found that my hosts.allow file on the TFTP server box was only configured to allow the network with the cable router and no other networks. The routers that were one hop away used that allowed network to get back to the TFTP server (via static routes on the cable router), but the one router directly connected was on a network not listed in hosts.allow (and I have ALL:ALL in hosts.deny).

This is one case where ping will work but TFTP will fail, even with no firewall running. Wireshark did not help much either. I guess I won't be forgetting about hosts.allow next time.

View solution in original post

I had a same scenario just an out of a box isr 4321 tftp is working no windows firewall on my laptop. I can ping the router from laptop and from router my laptop is reachable. I just enter the following command.

Router(config)#ip tftp source-interface gig0/0/0

where the int gig0/0/0 is where my laptop is directly connected.

Hope it will help you all

Have a good day :)

View solution in original post

112 Replies 112

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

hi,

kindly double check your file extension.

tftp://172.17.0.39/corporate-config.txt

Hi Yadav,

Try the following:

1- Make sure the TFTP is pinging

2- Try using TFTPD32 software for TFTP

3- Check if there is any firewall issue or tftp application on the computer

4- Make sure your TFTP server is turned on.

5- Check the file extension, If possbile copy the exact file extension from TFTP server file and paste on the router.

HTH

Regards

Inayath

Hi Inayath

1. TFTP is pinging.

2. I am using TFTPD32

3. I disabled the windows firewall.

4. Even the file extension is also correct.

Its really strange that only this router is facing the problem. TFTP server is working well with other routers and switches.

Regards,
Tony

Regards,
Tony

http://yadhutony.blogspot.com

Hello,

I ran into this problem connecting to a Linux tftp server.   It would start creating the name and leave a file with 0 bytes.  I could copy via tftp to the Linux box from different host like Windows or Unix without issue.  It was only when talking to CISCO devices I ran into the problem.  In the root of my /tftpboot directory I created a configs directory.   I updated the /etc/xinet.d/tftp file to point to the new path(see below) and restarted the service (service xinetd restart).  It magically started working.  Hopefully this helps someone.

/etc/xinet.d/tftp

server_args     = -s /tftproot/configs

I had a similar problem and had to source the router interface for tftp and then it worked.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios/fundamentals/command/reference/cf_book/cf_f1.html#wp1011436

You will also encounter this issue if your TFTP current Directory requires administrator privileges to copy files to it. Try changing the root directory or running the TFTP server as administrator 

I found the problem to be that I had enabled a management interface on my 2851 but hadn't allowed tftp to pass. Try this:

!
control-plane host
management-interface GigabitEthernet0/0 allow ftp ssh tftp snmp
!

That fixed it.

I had this problem. I'm using SolarWinds TFTP Server. I changed the file path from TFTP-Root to OpenTFTPServer and it worked!

I entered this command

control-plane host
 management-interface GigabitEthernet0/1 allow ftp ssh tftp snmp

plus I also added a rule in Windows Firewall to allow port  UDP 69

thanks tolinrome, that fixed it for me.  

ip tftp source-interface (int name)

That woked for me too. Legend!

Specifying source interface fixed it for me as well, thank you.

Hello, The same error I am getting during the copy tftp flash of bin file. however, i have no problem copying a sample file like text.txt.what is the problem on this?

Hello, The same error I am getting during the copy tftp flash of bin file. however, I have no problem copying a sample file like text.txt.what is the problem on this?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: