cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ask the Expert: Upgrading Cisco Unified Communications Manager (CUCM) to Version 9.1 (Drive to 9)

ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome to the Cisco Support Community Ask the Expert conversation. Learn from experts Vijay Rao and Amit Singh about simplified upgrade process and focused support from Cisco to migrate to version 9.1. 

This is a continuation of the live Webcast

Drive to 9 is a comprehensive and holistic program designed to help you upgrade the current Cisco® Unified Communications Manager installed base to version 9.1 or higher. This upgrade will enable customers to have next-generation collaboration experiences.

During the live event, Cisco subject matter experts Vijay Rao and Amit Singh focussed on the simplified upgrade process and focused support from Cisco to migrate to version 9.1. They also talked about the changes made to the licensing model of User Connect Licensing and Cisco Unified Workspace Licensing.

Vijay Rao is a Network Consulting Engineer and is currently a unified communications (UC) consultant for Bank of America. He has been providing consulting assistance to the bank for the past 6 years. He helps design complex UC networks for large enterprise customers. He was previously part of Cisco IT in the Asia Pacific, Japan, and China (APJC) region and was instrumental in designing and implementing the Bangalore campus. He has been working with Cisco for 9 years and has 12 years of UC experience. He has a Cisco CCVP® certification. 

Amit Singh is a customer support engineer at the Cisco Technical Assistance Center in Bangalore, India. He has 7 years of experience in his areas of expertise: wireless, Cisco Unified Communications Manager, multiservices, Cisco Unity®, and Cisco Unified Contact Center Express. He has been involved in various escalation requests from India, Singapore, and Australia and is currently working as a technical lead for the Voice team in Bangalore, India. He is a computer science graduate.

Remember to use the rating system to let Vijay and Amit know if you have received an adequate response.  

Vijay and Amit might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Remember that you can continue the conversation on the Collaboration, Voice and Video sub-community   forum shortly after the event. This event lasts through July 19, 2013. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

Webcast related links:

30 Replies 30

Hi
I

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Hello Ahmed,

Seems, your question didn't come through.

Regards

Amit Singh

yenlung
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Experts,

Would like to understand how the Location Bandwidth Manager is different from the old School CAC?

Thanks

Yen Lung

Hello Yen,

You may want to start with checking out the CUCM 9 SRND:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/srnd/9x/cac.html#wp1043786

Also the Administration Guide:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/9_0_1/ccmfeat/CUCM_BK_CEF0C471_00_cucm-features-services-guide-90_chapter_0101101.html

Then you may ask follow up question.

In Enhanced locations, CAC, LBM is a new service being introduced.

New components:

Links

Weights

Path

Effective Path

Bandwidth Allocation

LBM

LBM Hub

A Network model is being built using Locations and links

An effective path is being calculated, with least cumulative weight.

Regards

Amit Singh

pratik.rb
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

I would like to know some things related to version 9.1 if its okay to be on this Q&A:

1) The slide mentioned that there can be two types of users local as well LDAP synced. The previous version support either LDAP or local. So does this mean 9.1 now supports both types. If yes, additionally if user is converted from LDAP sync to local is the user still authenticated using LDAP or locally using locally maintained password?

2) Jabber IM can connect via SSL to network & work. What is the architecture and what are the requirements? Can you please post a link for this or explain briefly.

Regards,

Pratik

Hello Pratik,

Ans 1 > Thats correct, now you can have both Manual as well as LDAP Synced users, With CUCM 9.0, you have the ability to modify local users.

Once you convert a User to local, authentication becomes local.

Ans 2 > Let me look out for a link explaining the Jabber Architecture.

Regards

Amit

Robert Shaw
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

We are looking to upgrade to 9.1 from 4.2.  An issue was raised that may suggest that our older G1 2800 ISR Gateways may not be supported by Cisco TAC under SRST.  We plan to upgrade all of our Routers to the latest IOS available but some of the older routers don't have enough memory and/or flash to support 15.1.  If we were to leave these routers on the latest version of 12.4(24) would they still be supported under SRST in 9.1?

Thanks

Hello Robert,

Apologies for a delayed response, some days get very hectic.

In CallManager, we only define the SRST reference, and CUCM version and SRST version are independent of each other.

The only thing, which is related and will change with CUCM upgrade is Phone F/w version.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/compat/ccmcompmatr1.pdf

You may just want to check your, phone f/w compatibility with the SRST version running on your ISR G1 Gateways:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2169/products_device_support_tables_list.html

For Example: SRST version 7.1

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6788/vcallcon/ps2169/data_sheet_c78-520521.html

You may want to do some lab testing with CUCM 9.1 and an SRST supported f/w on your phones.

If you decide to run the old Phone/F/w to support the SRST version, you may not be able to take advantage of new features.

Also, you can try and upgrade your phones(Wih CUCM 9.1) and test them with your SRST version.

It should work fine, but from a troubleshooting perspective, TAC may request you to come into a Cisco Supported combination.

Please, let me know if this clarifies your doubt or we can have a quick phone call.

Regards

Amit Singh

omar Alqadi
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All

kindly,after i had configuration Extension Mobility on call manager 9.1 , i checked services button on 7970 ,7975,7945 ip phone is not working and is not give me anything .

thank you and best regards

Hello Omar,

The given information is not enough to diagnose and troubleshoot.

With the problem description, looks like the "EM Service" option doesnt show up in Services Menu.

You may want to enable " Enterprise Subscription" on EM service or individually subscribe the Phone to EM service.

As this discussion is speficic to Drive to 9 CUCM upgrade, you may want to open a TAC case for this issue.

Regards

Amit Singh

ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello Amit and Vijay,

Here are couple of questions that came directly during webcast, hence can you please provide your responses to each one of them individually.

1. Can I engage TAC pro-actively before the upgrade for any planning question?
  2. Can TAC help me with my licensing questions?
  3. Does this webcast presentation provide information about all the new features in CUCM version 9.1?
  4. What happens if the CUCM 9.X license gets delayed due to contract issues? Would the call processing be affected?
  5. Is there an Android Tablet app similar to the iPad app?
  6. Is CUCM 9.1 supported on bare metal MCS servers?
  7. Does upgrading to CUCM 9.1 involve a Refresh Upgrade (RU)?
  8. What is the roll back procedure for a 2-step upgrade?
  9. What version of CUCM is supported for the new “Jump Upgrade” process?
  10. What is the impact if I don’t rebuild the VM and install CUCM 9.1.2 after a “Jump Upgrade”?

Thanks!

Q : Can I engage TAC pro-actively before the upgrade for any planning question?

Ans : For any Planning / Designing / Implementation Questions, we have PDI help desk. Under "Drive to 9".

At this point Only Partners can reach out to PDI at pdihd-uc@cisco.com.

Regards

Amit Singh

Q : Can TAC help me with my licensing questions?

Ans: As part of CUCM 9, Drive to 9 initiative, all the Licensing needs will be taken care by GLO (Global Licensing Office), just by opening a Service Request with licensing team.

Any Kind of Troubleshooting or complex queries will be directed to TAC.

UCT (User Count Tool), queries can be directed to TAC.

Regards

Amit Singh

Q : Does this webcast presentation provide information about all the new features in CUCM version 9.1?

Ans: This webcast was concentrated around Licensing and Upgrade issues related to CUCM 9.1.

We just showcased few features, which the customers/End-users will find useful in their deployments.

You can check the following link for features:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/rel_notes/9_1_1/CUCM_BK_R6F8DBD4_00_release-notes-for-cucm-91_chapter_0100.html#CUCM_RF_CF356549_00

Regards

Amit Singh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: