cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Login failure - Cisco Jabber 9.2.4 for windows

Yan Tian
Level 1
Level 1

I have built up CUCM 8.6(2a), CUPS 8.6(5), and integrated them according to the cisco official docs.

Now, I finished the configuration according to the Jabber install guide & Server Setup Guide. However, the first login experience indicates that Jabber is a quite tricky software to deal with.

When I run Cisco Jabber for Windows 9.2.4 for the first time, it prompt me as below,

Server Type: Cisco Webex / Cisco Unified Presence

Login Server: Server address / Domain 

Q1: What is going on there? Whe Webex get involved here? Why CUCM is not listed as a Server Type? How should I input here for a successful login (My CUCM IP: 192.168.169.11, CUPS IP: 192.168.169.12, DNS is not used here, let alone Domain)?Those parameters and steps are never mentioned in the End user Guide.  The Jabber is not behaving as expected at all !!

Q2: As far as I know, Jabber can work in only 2 modes, Full UC Mode, Phone-Mode, only difference between them is media terminates at PC or desktop phone. Am I right? how can I determine which mode I am currently in?

Q3, In Connectin Setting Diagram, I select Cisco Unified Presence as server type, and input CUPS IP for Server Address & Domain, then, I use end user ID and password configured on CUCM to login, but end up with "cannot communicate with the server". Is that a bug ?

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

A1: Because it can use either (webex or CUPS), there are two deployment modes, all is on the documentation if you haven't gone thru it.

You type in what it's asking, nothing more. Choose one, and then use the CUPS hostname, DNS is basically mandatory, the PC needs name resolution for all you have configured (VM/CUCM/etc)

A2: No, it can be IM&P, full UC and phone mode. No, Full UC and phone mode use the PC for media termination, deskphone control uses the phone for media. Did you change the parameters during install for phone mode??? If not, it's not in phone mode.

A3: No, that can be many things, DNS, connectivity, credentials, etc

You mention DNS is not used, so, most likely that's the problem.

I'd strongly recommend you to review the whole deployment guide for Jabber for Windows.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

A1: Because it can use either (webex or CUPS), there are two deployment modes, all is on the documentation if you haven't gone thru it.

You type in what it's asking, nothing more. Choose one, and then use the CUPS hostname, DNS is basically mandatory, the PC needs name resolution for all you have configured (VM/CUCM/etc)

A2: No, it can be IM&P, full UC and phone mode. No, Full UC and phone mode use the PC for media termination, deskphone control uses the phone for media. Did you change the parameters during install for phone mode??? If not, it's not in phone mode.

A3: No, that can be many things, DNS, connectivity, credentials, etc

You mention DNS is not used, so, most likely that's the problem.

I'd strongly recommend you to review the whole deployment guide for Jabber for Windows.

HTH

java

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

Hey Jaime,

Thanks for your input.

You mention that DNS is mandatory for CUPS deployment.

Does it mean, I have to use FQDN of CUPS when configuring CUPS server instead of IP address ?
If so, Install Guide does indicate that IP address or FQDN are both acceptable.

Please also clarify why DNS is mandatory in CUPS deployment. (I have gone throught CUPS Install Guide & Deployment Guide, still not find the answer).

Not for CUPS itself, for the clients where you are going to use J4W

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

HTH

java

Could you please direct me to some truely valuable and informative docs? (All the jabber or presence related official docs I have reviewed before has been proved to be a waste of time...)

As I have reviewed lots of cisco official docs (install guide, configure guide, deployment guide) on Support>Presence. or support>Cisco Jabber for windows, but I still do not quite comprehend what you are talking about. (I never heard of J4W, what is that?).

J4W, does tha mean Jabber for windows ?

Please let me know why DNS is mandatry on jabber client when login while DNS for CUPS server is not mandatory?

What is that DNS on Jabber client used for ?

Thanks in advance.

Attached is the problem report, (Please change *.png to *.zip, and open it using WinRAR. as I did see upload attachment as an option in this forum).

please help identify the root cause, and provide the detailed step to fix it. 

Thanks in advance.

Problem solved by an unexpected server restart... (nothing changed in terms of configuration)

quite strange...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: