cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Mac OS X Maverick - AnyConnect

jmorsbach1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello - I just installed OS X 10.9 (Maverick), and my Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client has began acting strange.  Prior to the upgrade, the connection was always stable, however after the upgrade it disconnects and reconnectes about every 1-2 minutes continuously.  This is an unworkable situtation and wondering if there is something I can change with the configuration to alleviate this issue.

Thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Apple has been extremely helpful and a very good partner in root causing the source of this problem. 

We are pleased to announce that we have made available a temporary workaround (CSCuh73010) for the AnyConnect Mac OS X 10.9 connection instability / compatibility issue (Apple Bug Report ID 15261749) via an updated version of AnyConnect (3.1.04074). There are caveats associated with this temporary workaround which are noted in the release notes. Due to replication delays, the release notes may not be updated until Monday.

http://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=283000185&flowid&softwareid=282364313&release=3.1.04072

(It is located in the 4072 directory.)

Release Notes:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10884/prod_release_notes_list.html

Note: A SMARTnet-enabled login is required to download AnyConnect Software from Cisco.com.

Here's the release note excerpt: This update is a temporary workaround to resolve the problem of frequent disconnects of the  AnyConnect VPN on systems running Mac OS X 10.9. Apple is aware of this issue and you can reference Apple Bug Report ID 15261749 if you want to  open your own case with them. This patch is a workaround and we are not able to guarantee that it will work as reliably as a fix provided by a future OS patch. A future OS fix will not require you to update AnyConnect 3.1.0472 to operate reliably. Once  Apple provides a fix in OS X 10.9, we may choose to retract this workaround, and unpatched versions of AnyConnect 3.1.04072 will also work reliably.

Best Regards,

Pete Davis

Product Owner, Cisco AnyConnect

ac-mobile-feedback@cisco.com

@AnyConnect

http://facebook.com/anyconnect

View solution in original post

Peter Davis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Apple has been extremely helpful and a very good partner in root causing the source of this problem.

We are pleased to announce that we have made available a temporary workaround (CSCuh73010) for the AnyConnect Mac OS X 10.9 connection instability / compatibility issue (Apple Bug Report ID 15261749) via an updated version of AnyConnect (3.1.04074). There are caveats associated with this temporary workaround which are noted in the release notes. Due to replication delays, the release notes may not be updated until Monday.

http://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=283000185&flowid&softwareid=282364313&release=3.1.04072

(It is located in the 4072 directory.)

Release Notes:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10884/prod_release_notes_list.html

Note: A SMARTnet-enabled login is required to download AnyConnect Software from Cisco.com.

Here's the release note excerpt: This update is a temporary workaround to resolve the problem of frequent reconnects/disconnects of the  AnyConnect VPN on systems running Mac OS X 10.9. Apple is aware of this issue and you can reference Apple Bug Report ID 15261749 if you want to  open your own case with them. This patch is a workaround and we are not able to guarantee that it will work as reliably as a fix provided by a future OS patch. A future OS fix will not require you to update AnyConnect 3.1.0472 to operate reliably. Once  Apple provides a fix in OS X 10.9, we may choose to retract this workaround, and unpatched versions of AnyConnect 3.1.04072 will also work reliably.

Best Regards,

Pete Davis

Product Owner, Cisco AnyConnect

ac-mobile-feedback@cisco.com

@AnyConnect

http://facebook.com/anyconnect

View solution in original post

37 Replies 37

Gustavo Medina
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Joe,

Unfortunately Anyconnect is not compatible with Maverick (10.9) yet. It's being tracked under CSCuh73010

-Gustavo Medina

It has completely disrupted my offsite work situtation. And this is the only software that I'm having issues with on 10.9.

Why is AnyConnect always behind?  There was plenty of time for Cisco to have this prepared ahead of time.  I have had issues before when OS X was upgraded.  It's unacceptable from such a large company.

Seriously, that's why they have developer releases, so that developers can get their software ready ahead of time.  What is Cisco doing during this time?

Hello Guys,

The problem has been isolated to a bug in OS X 10.9. We are examining all possible workarounds while we wait for an OS X 10.9 update which fixes this regression.

If you are reaching out to Apple to open your own case, you are welcome to reference our Apple bug report ID: 15261749

-Gustavo Medina

Hi,

Can you describe the issue reported to Apple?

Thanks,

Bill

I contacted Apple and they have no knowledge of this as an issue, either reported by users or Cisco.  They are not aware of any pending fix related to this as a result or, of any on-going discussion with Cisco about this?

Has anyone found a cue to this issue?

Thanks for tracking this, i have the same issue. disconnects every 1-2 minutes with 10.9+Anyconnect 3.1

Looking at stats seems that Control Frames are not being received to me during outages.

Worth mention i have the problem within my corporate network, from my home DSL it works ok.

Any solution would be much appreciated, completly breaks my off site working solution.

Update

The soluton below worked for me, just took the VPN client part of the package and service has been solid. Why would I need the posture part ? I know how to sit up or lie down

I can't even connect. I receive an error that says "Posture Assessment Failed: Hostscan Initialize error"

UPDATE

I have been able to get a solid, stable VPN connection using the standalone install package "anyconnect-macosx-i386-3.1.04072-k9.dmg" - when installing, I only installed the VPN module - I did not install the posture module or any of that other stuff. I've had zero problems with it since then. The download files for this version of AnyConnect are available here:

http://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=283000185&softwareid=282364313&release=3.1.04072&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest

The particular one that worked for me was "Standalone DMG package for Mac OS X "Intel" Platforms"

I concur with r. Leigh. I have10.9 and wasn't even aware of any issues, but I had originally installed any connect 3.1 by itself.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

I have Macbook Pro Retina Display 13" Early 2013 model.

I've installed Cisco Anyconnect Secure Mobility Client 3.1.04072 (just the core package, no optional extras) and I've found it works fine so far. We do not have wireless at work so cannot comment on the wired vs wireless debate. With a Thunderbolt -> Ethernet adaptor it has been up and working for around an hour with no problems.

Powernap is enabled.

The older version of Anycionnet SMC (I suspect V3.something) had an issue with the libcurl library which I could not resolve. I used older versions of libcurl to try and get round it and gave up after a couple of hours.

Whilst this is early days, it's only been a few hours, it's looking OK so far.

I've looked through some of the comments and I would suggest people document exactly which version of the client they are using. 3.1 doesn't get close to the details, it may well be that the latest version might (or might not) work for you.

I hope this positive if not conclusive report helps people and gives them some hope there is a resolution. This appears to work for me anyway.

Rob

I am having three issues running Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client Version 3.1.05152 on Mac OS X 10.9.2;

1. When I start the client it errors out with the error: "No vaild certificate available for authentication. Connection attempt has failed due to server communication errors. Please retry the connection." - The orange wheel keeps spinning and application is hung - when I relaunch 25-30 times it eventually works and gives me the password prompt...

2. Dropping connection every 10-15 minutes causing Java applications to fail...

3. When I click on Preferences I see a blank window (attached)

jrcamacho25
Level 1
Level 1

I am also experiencing this issue and it so frustrating.  Has any progress been made on this and an expected time to resolution?

support_gyml
Level 1
Level 1

Be aware: the behavior is depending as wheather you use

- WiFi

and / or

- power supply plugged in.

I have no problem using eathernet cable plugged in and the power supply attached (using 3.1.04072).

I guess it has something to do with the new introduced power save functions ... so I opened a case with Apple too!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: