Helpful
Replies

Ask the Expert: Cisco Unified Communications Manager (CUCM) Version 10.0

ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager

With Amit Singh  and Raees Shaikh  

Read the bioRead the bio

Welcome to the Cisco Support Community Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to ask questions and learn about Unified Communications Manager (CUCM) version 10.0 with Cisco Experts Amit Singh and Raees Shaikh.

Cisco Unified Communications manager release 10.0 brings in lot of new features and enhancements. As part of the CUCM 10.0 Customer and partner education series, In this session we will cover questions related to Install and Upgrade requirements along with Call Routing Enhancements. Through this session, we will discuss and respond to queries related to the following :

Install/Upgrade

• Single-step change IPhostname on CUCM cluster
  • Supported Server List - Virtual Only
  • VM Dynamic Disk Size Reallocation
  • 64 Bit RHEL6 OS VOS

Call Routing Enhancements

• Routing Enhancements – No Inter Digit Timer Using Urgent Translation
  • Translation Pattern Calling Search Space Inheritance
  • Routing Enhancements – Ability to make DNs Urgent Priority
  • Multiple Local Route Group

Reference: Solution Reference Network Designs Cisco Collaboration Systems 10.x

Amit Singh
is a customer support engineer at the Cisco Technical Assistance Center in Bangalore, India. He has over 7 years of experience in his areas of expertise: wireless, Cisco Unified Communications Manager, multiservices, Cisco Unity®, and Cisco Unified Contact Center Express. He has been involved in various escalation requests from India, Singapore, and Australia and is currently working as a technical lead for the Voice team in Bangalore, India. He is a computer science graduate.

Raees Shaikh
is currently a senior engineer on the collaboration team in Bangalore TAC. His areas of expertise include Cisco Unified Communications Manager and Call-Control related applications. Raees has over 6 years of industry experience. He focusses on troubleshooting and working with various voice products, including Cisco unified communication manager, Cisco Unified Border Element, Gateways, Cisco Unified SIP Proxy and Jabber within the TAC organization. Prior to joining Cisco, he was a network engineer with Microland Ltd, supporting networks for Fortune 500 companies. He holds a bachelor of engineering degree in electronics and telecommunication from Goa University and holds CCIE Voice ( #34220), CCNP Routing & Switching and RHCE  certifications.

Remember to use the rating system to let Amit and Raees know if you have received an adequate response

Amit and Raees might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Remember that you can continue the conversation on the forum shortly after the event. This event lasts through February 28th, 2014. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

60 Replies 60

amitsin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Team,

To start the discussion, I will pick up the most frequently asked question, how to get the CUCM 10.0 Upgrade image ?

Ans. All the major ".0" releases,Ex 8.0,9.0,10.0 are not released on CCO, needs to be orderd using PUT

Product Upgrade Tool :

- Go to www.cisco.com/upgrade

- Click the link under Browse All Upgradable Products (points to http://tools.cisco.com/gct/Upgrade/allUpgrades.do?allProducts=display )

- Relevant SKUs appear to be:

Screen Shot 2014-02-17 at 2.26.09 pm.png

Hi Amit,

I was looking for latest software compatibility matrix for CUCM 10 for upgradation but could not find.

There was question asked in the community today on how to upgrade from 8.6 to 10.0

please advice.

regds,

aman

Hi Aman

You will find all the documentation related CUCM 10.x using the below link

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/prod_maintenance_guides_list.html

To answer your question in specific, you can upgrade from CUCM 8.6.1 onwards to CUCM 10 directly & you can use the Prime Collaboration Deployment for this purpose.

Thanks & Regards

Raees Shaikh

Hi Raees,

thanks for the prompt reply but I still could not find the compatibility matrix for CUCM 10.what I could find is for CUCM 9.1(2) SU1

I did not understand as u mentioned "Prime Collaboration Deployment".Can u please elaborate?

regds,

aman

Thanks Raees for mentioning PCD.

There will be a dedicated session for PCD.

Cisco Prime Collaboration Deployment is an application that is designed  to assist in the management of Unified Communications applications from  the perspective of migration, fresh installs, upgrades, switching  versions, rebooting clusters, and changing IP addresses or hostnames.

Aman, here is some information you can find about Prime Collaboration Deployment (PCD)

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/ucmap/10_0_1/CUCM_BK_U9C58CB1_00_ucmap-administration-guide/CUCM_BK_U9C58CB1_00_ucmap-administration-guide_chapter_011.html

Regards

Amit Singh

Hi Aman

You can find more information in regards to Prime Collaboration Deployment tool developed to automate migration to CUCM 10.x in my blog on CUCM 10.x

Thanks & Regards

Raees Shaikh

Hello Aman,

From Release 10.0 onward, Cisco Unified Communications System is  re-branded to Cisco Collaboration Systems to better reflect the  Collaboration products included in the solution.

Please check the below link:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/uc_system/unified/communications/system/versions/IPTMtrix.html#wp1124773

This table identifies the software release versions of the system  components that are used in each Cisco Collaboration Systems release for  IP Telephony.

Let me know if this answers your query with respect to Compatibility Matrix.

Regards

Amit Singh

Hello Aman,

Regarding the Upgrade from CUCM 8.6.

1> CUCM 10.0 is only supported in Virtualized Environment:

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/UC_Virtualization_Supported_Hardware

2> You need to order the 10.0 Upgrade media using PUT

3>

If the “from” version is 8.6 and above

o No cop file needed.

If the “from” version is less than 8.6

o COP file needs to be installed before initiating RU.

oThe COP file to be used –

(1) V1.1 Unsigned COP - ciscocm.refresh_upgrade_v1.1.cop

(2) V1.1 Signed COP -     ciscocm.refresh_upgrade_v1.1.cop.sgn

** Refresh Upgrade COP file are available on CCO

New and Changed Information on CUCM 10.0:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/rel_notes/10_0_1/delta/CUCM_BK_C206A718_00_cucm-new-and-changed-1001/CUCM_BK_C206A718_00_cucm-new-and-changed-1001_chapter_01.html

Hi Amit,

thanks a lot for providing lot of info.

one doubt still remains in my mind that if I need to check the software compatibility matrix  like below link , is that available.

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/compat/ccmcompmatr1.pdf

regds,

aman

Hello Aman,

I agree, thats a very conveniet way to look at the information.

Similar, information for 10.0 is not available yet and I need to confirm, if thats work in progress ?

Please standby, while, I, check further with Product team.

Regards

Amit Singh

Hello Aman,

Please check out the following link for CUCM 10.0 compatibility matrix:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/compat/10_x/CUCM_BK_CD1DB914_00_compat_matrix.html

Regards

Amit Singh

Anthony Holloway
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

MLRG - I'm having trouble understanding when I would use this feature, could you give me a use case?

Also, I noticed that when I created an LRG name or two or 10, they all show up in every Device Pool page in one huge untamed list.

MLRG.png

The intention must have been to only create one or two of these then, otherwise, 150 would make the device pool page unusable.

Anthony Holloway

Please use the star ratings to help drive great content to the top of searches.

Hello Anthony,

Lets pick up the example of Standard LRG in Pre 10.0.

As a use case we used "LRG" to route calls using Local gateway, preferebly.

For Example:

Screen Shot 2014-02-18 at 8.39.46 am.png

• If administrator wish to create a route to a PSTN/CUCM B from particular site then he could simply have a Route list with Standard Local Route Group.
  • If the administrator has to add another emergency route to CUCM C/PSTN then using Standard Local Route Group would not help and he would have to make site specific Route list and Route patterns.
eg: 8.XXXX pattern would be used by device on site A to reach site E using RG_A_To_E
      7.XXXX Pattern would be used by device on site B to reach site E using RG_B_To_E
With the Multiple LRG Enhancement in CUCM 10.0
Screen Shot 2014-02-18 at 8.58.36 am.png
  • On the Device Pool page, We can choose to associate the Emergency Route with a route group or leave it blank.
  • This will reduce the number of route list and route patters to be created.

EX.

Phone 3 calls Phone 5 via Route List Route List to Site E

• When Phone 3 (DP_C) calls Phone 5 using route pattern 8.XXXX
  • Route list layer check that the first route group in the preference order is “Emergency Route Group (Local Route Group)”.
  • It then checks the route group associated with “Emergency Route Group” on Device Pool DP_C.
  • There is no Route group associated with “Emergency Route Group”.
  • Hence the Route list layer would check of for next member in the route list And try routing the call via “RG_General”.

**I hope this explains, if any doubts, please, let me know and we can have a quick call to discuss.

Regards

Amit Singh

Morning Anthony,

Please, do let us know if the MLRG Explanation, showcased the use case scenario.

We will soon be posting small videos explaining these features.

your feedback is welcome and it will help us to improve upon the content.

Regards

Amit Singh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: