cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN Throughput on 1721

daiku
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to find the max VPN throughput on my 1721 VPN bundle. I can't finy anything difinitive. I'm using the WIC Ethernet interface to connect at convention centers and such, so it's not limited by the leased line in most cases.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

roluce
Level 1
Level 1

The exact througput of a 860MPC based (1721) Cisco router is based on a number of factors. Type of encryption/encapsulation, version of code, etc.

3DES IPSec router to router "in the lab" with 1400 byte packets came out to be 8Mb I believe. If your network isn't "in the lab" you can expect less (probably much less) than that.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

jwilson
Level 1
Level 1

With a VPN tunnel up, you can use TTCP to measure throughput between a host on the local and one on the remote side. Alternatively you can use TTCP on the router along with a host on the remote end to measure throughput; see http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/471/ttcp.html

Regards

Jonathan

roluce
Level 1
Level 1

The exact througput of a 860MPC based (1721) Cisco router is based on a number of factors. Type of encryption/encapsulation, version of code, etc.

3DES IPSec router to router "in the lab" with 1400 byte packets came out to be 8Mb I believe. If your network isn't "in the lab" you can expect less (probably much less) than that.