cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FXS Port configuration for FAX Machine H323

cmorley
Level 1
Level 1

We have a 2811 router with H323 configuration with an extra FXS port; right now we use an ATA to connect the fax but I would rather use the FXS port and connect the fax machine directly to it. How would I configure the fxs port to support this and also the dial peer? Sorry to be such a newbie. Thanks for any help/examples.

6 Replies 6

dgahm
Level 8
Level 8

Here is a working config that uses fax relay with an internal extension of 6375. External calls are dialed with a 9 access code. There are additional peers for a 2nd subscriber that are not shown.

voice class codec 1

codec preference 1 g711ulaw

codec preference 2 g729r8

!

voice class h323 1

h225 timeout tcp establish 2

!

voice-port 1/1/3

description ***>FAX

station-id name SiteXXX_FAX

station-id number 6375

caller-id enable

dial-peer voice 10 pots

service default

destination-pattern 6375

port 1/1/3

dial-peer voice 100 voip

destination-pattern [2-8]...

voice-class codec 1

voice-class h323 1

session target ipv4:10.XXX.20.201

dtmf-relay h245-alphanumeric

no vad

!

dial-peer voice 105 voip

destination-pattern 9[2-9]......

voice-class codec 1

voice-class h323 1

no vad

!

dial-peer voice 107 voip

destination-pattern 91..........

voice-class codec 1

voice-class h323 1

no vad

!

Please rate helpful posts.

On the Call Manager side you will also need a route pattern for the fax DN pointing to the H323 gateway.

It looks like you didn't do any special config on the fxs port except for the station-id commands. Do I need any type of fax-rate command on the dial-peer?

I really appreciate your help on this.

The default is to match the codec, so with my G711 config the fax rate will be 14,400. If the other side of the call only supports G729 the rate will drop to 7200.

For fax relay to work the gateway on the other side of the call must be set to allow it. In our case, the outbound calls are going through 6608 PRIs.

When you get this configured do some test faxes inbound and outbound while monitoring the calls with show voice call summary and show call active voice brief. That will confirm that the calls are using fax relay and the speed.

Got it; thanks for all the help

New Bee here - I can't seem to call outt from my FXS fax ports.  Any ideas?  Show run attached

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: