Views
Helpful
Replies

Resetting Aironet 1242AG

laser21111
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a huge problem with my partner - we displaced our password list! Is there a way to reset the access point, without entering the GUI? Any help is appreciated a lot!! Otherwise we will have to take it to the service... Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Sakul,

You can use this method;

Reset the AP?Cisco IOS Software

Complete the steps in this section in order to reset Cisco IOS Software-based APs.

Note: Cisco IOS Software-based APs have a default configuration that includes a username and password combination. Both the username and password are "Cisco", which is case-sensitive. After you reset to factory defaults, be prepared to give "Cisco" as both the username and password when you are prompted by either the GUI or the command-line interface (CLI).

If the privileged command prompt ap# is available in the CLI, the write erase command and the reload command erase the startup configuration and reset the unit.

If the GUI is available, choose System Software > System Configuration. Press the Reset to Defaults button.

If neither the GUI nor the CLI is available with sufficient privileges, complete these instructions in order to use the Mode button:

Disconnect power from the AP.

Disconnect the power jack for external power or the Ethernet cable for inline power.

Press and hold the MODE button while you reconnect power to the AP.

Hold the MODE button until the Status LED turns amber, and then release the button.

The Status LED turns amber in approximately 1 to 2 seconds.

After the AP reboots, reconfigure the AP and use the web browser interface, the Telnet interface, or Cisco IOS Software commands.

Note: The AP is configured with the factory default values that include:

The IP address, which is set to receive an IP address with DHCP

The default username and password, "Cisco"

From this doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps430/products_password_recovery09186a00800949d0.shtml#resios

Hope this helps, I know its a bummer :(

Rob

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Sakul,

You can use this method;

Reset the AP?Cisco IOS Software

Complete the steps in this section in order to reset Cisco IOS Software-based APs.

Note: Cisco IOS Software-based APs have a default configuration that includes a username and password combination. Both the username and password are "Cisco", which is case-sensitive. After you reset to factory defaults, be prepared to give "Cisco" as both the username and password when you are prompted by either the GUI or the command-line interface (CLI).

If the privileged command prompt ap# is available in the CLI, the write erase command and the reload command erase the startup configuration and reset the unit.

If the GUI is available, choose System Software > System Configuration. Press the Reset to Defaults button.

If neither the GUI nor the CLI is available with sufficient privileges, complete these instructions in order to use the Mode button:

Disconnect power from the AP.

Disconnect the power jack for external power or the Ethernet cable for inline power.

Press and hold the MODE button while you reconnect power to the AP.

Hold the MODE button until the Status LED turns amber, and then release the button.

The Status LED turns amber in approximately 1 to 2 seconds.

After the AP reboots, reconfigure the AP and use the web browser interface, the Telnet interface, or Cisco IOS Software commands.

Note: The AP is configured with the factory default values that include:

The IP address, which is set to receive an IP address with DHCP

The default username and password, "Cisco"

From this doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps430/products_password_recovery09186a00800949d0.shtml#resios

Hope this helps, I know its a bummer :(

Rob

Thank you so much! I will look at it tomorrow! Im pretty sure I can handle it. But its quiet difficult for a basic reset :) Good night

None of this stuff works on my Cisco AP. write erase and erase startup-config are not part of the CLI command available. Also the mode button only got to purple if I hold it down for 20 to 30 secounds. I can do delete nvram:startup-config but it says I don't have permission. My AP comes up and connects the the 4402 WLC for a minute. It even lets me console in. But it continously reboots and looks for a WLC name that doesn't exist..

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: