Views
Helpful
Replies

SAN-OS site upgrade

sidbartle
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have question in reference to upgrading the SAN-OS for our fabric. We currently run 2 MDS 9216's and 1 MDS 9120 with a SAN-OS of 2.1(1a), I have recently purchased another 3 MDS 9120?s to increase capacity and I would like to upgrade to SAN-OS 3.1(1) (Latest supported by our vendor, Hitachi Data Systems).

I have read through the documentation and think I have a good idea about how to do each switch upgrade. What I am unsure about is during the upgrade I will have a period of time, about 1 day, where some switches will be at a different SAN-OS than the others i.e. 2.1(1a) and 3.2(1). My question is ?Is it OK to run SAN-OS 2.1(1a) and SAN-OS 3.1(1) together in the same fabric??

My site consists of 1 VLAN and 2 sites redundantly connected via 2 paths.

Thanks

2 Replies 2

colin.mcnamara
Level 4
Level 4

You can run the two versions in the same fabric. I would recommend configuring static domain id's to avoid any possible bugs.

And of course, if you don't start using your 3.x features until your entire fabric is updated that will avoid any unexpected headaches.

You didn't mention IVR in your configuration, however if you are using there is a specific caveat listed in the upgrade notes that deals with possible isolation.

If you find this helpful, please rate this post.

TimDanner02
Level 1
Level 1

I believe it is. I've got a 9509 @ 2.1.2b, and a 9216 @ 3.0.1 in the same fabric. I haven't seen any troubles.