Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM 7.1 - Calls in Progress

#TCN
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I have an unusually high number of “calls in progress” showing up on the call activity / Call process section on RTMT

e.g. 500 calls in progress minimum during the early hours of the morning

Is there any way of debugging these internal calls? ....e.g. find out what device is generating these calls that are showing in RTMT?

As for external calls the gateway only shows around 20-30 concurrent calls during peak times. (8-5)

Thanks

James

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Gordon Ross
Level 9
Level 9

I've had a similar problem myself quite recently. It happened when CUCM and the gateways got confused as to how many calls really were in progress. First off, try rebooting your gateways. If that doesn't fix it, you'll have to bounce CUCM itself.

GTG

Please rate all helpful posts.

View solution in original post

Hi James,

I've also dealt with this sort of issue. It's important to understand what's causing the calls in progress to be at such a high value even during non business hours. A reboot of CUCM server(s) would clear the problem temporarily if it is a defect. The issue I worked on required indepth troubleshooting to help establish it was a defect in the CUCM version. Let me share some details regarding this:

"Calls in Progress" represent the number of calls that are currently in process. It includes all active calls also (Calls Active is defined as the number of streaming connections that are currently active (in use), in other words the number of calls which actually have a voice path connected. When a phone goes off hook, it is a call in progress until it goes back on hook. If all calls that are in progress are connected, the number of calls in progress and the number of active calls will be the same. Call Control updates these counters. The CallInProgress counter is incremented when Cdcc process is started and decremented when the process is stopped.

Either the Call Control (most likely) is not working properly or we have a problem with the RTMT itself.

I had to analyze 24 hours worth of CUCM SDI and SDL traces (~20GB zipped!) to catch the issue, where Cdcc's were getting hung. This was related to call pickup groups and was a defect in 8.x.

If you happen to see the problem again post the reload of the CUCM server(s), here are the things to collect and analyze:

++    Collect the following from the CLI of the Publisher:

show status

show hardware

show perf query class "Number of Replicates Created and State of Replication"

show perf query counter "Cisco Locations" CallsInProgress

show perf query counter "Cisco CallManager" CallsInProgress

show perf query class "Cisco Lines"

++    Are you able to identify which location(s) are showing non-existent calls?

++    Kindly let me know if you see any low memory alerts / alarms in RTMT. If yes, kindly provide me with the alert / alarm details.

++    Application and system log from publisher.

++    Via GUI - during off hours, proceed to restart the following services on serviceability to each server, first publisher and then subscribers.

Cisco RIS Data Collector

Cisco AMC Service

++    Via CLI -

utils snmp hardware-agents restart

Additional steps to troubleshoot:

1. Enable trace Cisco RIS Datacollector to detailed

2. Enable trace Cisco AMC service to debug

3. Enable trace Risdc logs. To enable, Go to the service parameter

page of "Cisco RIS Data Collector" (RisDC) service and enable the

"Ris Logging"  service parameter. PS: enable this trace only in

the server that we are having the problem.

4. On the PC that will run the RTMT: Start RTMT go to Edit > Trace

Setting > debug. The log will be at:  c:\Documents and

Settings\\.jrtmt\log\rtmt.log

5. Now, schedule a maintenance window. In the maintenance window  to

stop/start the Cisco CallManager Service on the node reporting high value for "calls in progress".  Note that

will drop all the calls.

6. check if the calls in progress goes to zero.

7. If not reboot the server

8. Check if the calls in progress goes to zero.

9. When you get the counter back to zero, capture every couple of hours:

10. output of CLI show perf query counter "Cisco CallManager CallsInProgress"

11. screenshoot for the RTMT

12. Screen-shoot of

https://:8443/ast/ASTIsapi.dll?GetPreCannedInfo&Items=getCallActivityRequest

We want to find a moment were we get a good discrepancy between what the RTMT shows and what the CLI commands report.  At this point collect all the logs and the traces.

HTH.

Regards,

Harmit.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Gordon Ross
Level 9
Level 9

I've had a similar problem myself quite recently. It happened when CUCM and the gateways got confused as to how many calls really were in progress. First off, try rebooting your gateways. If that doesn't fix it, you'll have to bounce CUCM itself.

GTG

Please rate all helpful posts.

Thanks Gordon - I will restart the gateways and CUCM and update post

Before restarting the whole CUCM cluster, I would try resetting the RIS service to see if that helps.

HTH,

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your reply

No change after restarting the RIS Service across the cluster.....I will proceed with the server reboot and monitor to see if the issue re-appears.

Regards,

James

Hi James,

I've also dealt with this sort of issue. It's important to understand what's causing the calls in progress to be at such a high value even during non business hours. A reboot of CUCM server(s) would clear the problem temporarily if it is a defect. The issue I worked on required indepth troubleshooting to help establish it was a defect in the CUCM version. Let me share some details regarding this:

"Calls in Progress" represent the number of calls that are currently in process. It includes all active calls also (Calls Active is defined as the number of streaming connections that are currently active (in use), in other words the number of calls which actually have a voice path connected. When a phone goes off hook, it is a call in progress until it goes back on hook. If all calls that are in progress are connected, the number of calls in progress and the number of active calls will be the same. Call Control updates these counters. The CallInProgress counter is incremented when Cdcc process is started and decremented when the process is stopped.

Either the Call Control (most likely) is not working properly or we have a problem with the RTMT itself.

I had to analyze 24 hours worth of CUCM SDI and SDL traces (~20GB zipped!) to catch the issue, where Cdcc's were getting hung. This was related to call pickup groups and was a defect in 8.x.

If you happen to see the problem again post the reload of the CUCM server(s), here are the things to collect and analyze:

++    Collect the following from the CLI of the Publisher:

show status

show hardware

show perf query class "Number of Replicates Created and State of Replication"

show perf query counter "Cisco Locations" CallsInProgress

show perf query counter "Cisco CallManager" CallsInProgress

show perf query class "Cisco Lines"

++    Are you able to identify which location(s) are showing non-existent calls?

++    Kindly let me know if you see any low memory alerts / alarms in RTMT. If yes, kindly provide me with the alert / alarm details.

++    Application and system log from publisher.

++    Via GUI - during off hours, proceed to restart the following services on serviceability to each server, first publisher and then subscribers.

Cisco RIS Data Collector

Cisco AMC Service

++    Via CLI -

utils snmp hardware-agents restart

Additional steps to troubleshoot:

1. Enable trace Cisco RIS Datacollector to detailed

2. Enable trace Cisco AMC service to debug

3. Enable trace Risdc logs. To enable, Go to the service parameter

page of "Cisco RIS Data Collector" (RisDC) service and enable the

"Ris Logging"  service parameter. PS: enable this trace only in

the server that we are having the problem.

4. On the PC that will run the RTMT: Start RTMT go to Edit > Trace

Setting > debug. The log will be at:  c:\Documents and

Settings\\.jrtmt\log\rtmt.log

5. Now, schedule a maintenance window. In the maintenance window  to

stop/start the Cisco CallManager Service on the node reporting high value for "calls in progress".  Note that

will drop all the calls.

6. check if the calls in progress goes to zero.

7. If not reboot the server

8. Check if the calls in progress goes to zero.

9. When you get the counter back to zero, capture every couple of hours:

10. output of CLI show perf query counter "Cisco CallManager CallsInProgress"

11. screenshoot for the RTMT

12. Screen-shoot of

https://:8443/ast/ASTIsapi.dll?GetPreCannedInfo&Items=getCallActivityRequest

We want to find a moment were we get a good discrepancy between what the RTMT shows and what the CLI commands report.  At this point collect all the logs and the traces.

HTH.

Regards,

Harmit.

Hi

Just an update - Restarted the Call Manager service on the server that had the high number of calls in progress and this has resolved the issue (so far) Call Manager is now showing 20+ calls in progress rather than 400+ that was previously showing

Thanks

James

Hi James,

Thanks for keeping us updated. I would suggest to keep monitoring for the next week or so, depending on the kind of call volume you have. If it goes up and stays up again, then it would be a good idea to follow the steps I suggested above.

Regards,

Harmit.

Hi Harmit,

I have noticed that the calls in progress is starting to increase gradually - now sitting at 150+

I will proceed with your troubleshooting recomendations and update the post.

Regards,

James

Hi James,

Thanks for the update. Yes, please review the info I provided.

--
Regards,
Harmit.

Hello Harmit Singh,

Would you please post the bugid you ran into?  I may be running into the same issue.

Thanks,

Joshua