cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP and Net Flow

losdelrock
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, we have 2 Cisco 3640 routers configured with HSRP and are monitoring their net-flow using NetFlow Analyzer by Adventnet. My question is, can you get the "Virtual" IP's configured via HSRP to report net flow? At the minute my analyser shows 3 routers, the two real ones and the "Virtual" one, but no data is collected from the virtual one.

Thanks - Adrian.

2 Replies 2

losdelrock
Level 1
Level 1

Further to the above, I have contacted Adventnet and they say this is not possible to achieve. I present the following scenario:

You have 20 Ciscos configured for HSRP. You have a very unstable network and the interfaces are up and down like a proverbial yo-yo. How can you view continuous network stats for network traffic? It would be nice to be able to report on the virtual IP address, wouldn't it?

Adrian.

Adrian

I would take a slightly different position. It seems to me that you want to view traffic in terms of which router actually handled that traffic. If the NetFlow were reported from the virtual IP address then how would you know on which router the traffic was present?

Additionally this question of how the NetFlow is sourced is consistent with other things that IOS does such as how routing updates are sourced, how ping packets are sourced, or in general any packet sourced by the router will use the static configured address and not the virtual address as the source. This way it is clear from whom the data came where it would be ambiguous where it came from if it were sourced from the virtual address.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick