cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading Unity+Replacing Server

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

I am using unity 2.3 build 2.3.4.117.<br>I want to implement the following steps :<br>1. Replacing my old exchange server with a new one (different machine with a different Domain name and host name)<br>2.Upgrading to unity 2.4<br><br>What are the steps I need to do in order to commit these steps for example<br>1. Which files system do I need to tranfer to the new server (eg. I activate the learning tone application and recorded new tones and also defined the call handler and call routing that mean I am using CENTERX003.INI).<br>2. How do I move all the old greetings to the new server.<br>3. How do I move the recorded names.<br>4. How do I move all the old voice messages to the new server.<br><br>Is there other steps that need to been done?<br><br>Thanks in advance,<br><br>Nir.<br><br>

1 Reply 1

Not applicable

Unfortunately there’s no clean way to do this from 2.3.4 (yet).

The official line for doing a “fork lift upgrade” like this is you’ll need to do a full tape backup and restore onto the new box and upgrade Unity from there. That doesn’t sound like what you want to do, however, since you want to change the domain etc…

The first problem you’ll run into is the greetings cannot simply be copied over to another Unity server… until 2.4.5 they were stored in the directory as a full UNC (i.e. the machine name is included in the path to the greeting file itself). As such if the machine name is different (which is would be in this case) the links are broken and you have to rerecord your greetings (which includes subscribers, call handlers, and interview handlers).

If the Unity server is installed in a larger Exchange site, the voice names will be in the directory, those are not stored on our local server. If your server is not part of a site, there’s no easy way to extract these and “move” them to a new stand alone Unity server. You could install a new server into the same site with the old Unity server and go that route, but that doesn’t sound like it’s what you want to do.

Moving messages is the same as moving the Exchange mailbox contents… again, if you joined the new Exchange server into the same site with the old Unity box, this is a simple move operation in Exchange.

The irony here is that I’m working on a tool (in my “spare” time) that will do exactly what you want. You should be able to do an export on your 2.3.4 machine and do an import into a clean install of 2.4.5 (on your shiny new box). It’s mostly done, I’m just testing it out and fixing bugs. I’m just hammered with my “normal” job, unfortunately, and haven’t been able to spend as much time ironing it out as I would like. If you can hang tight for a few weeks and would be willing to be an “early adopter” for Lindborg Labs apps, you can take this route if you want.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect
Active Voice
jlindborg@activevoice.com
http://members.home.net/jlindborg