cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Addreess and Port Number

vikrantarora
Level 1
Level 1

we have 4 vlans configured on the catalyst switch. Is there a way to find out which port on the ctalyst switch i m connected to using just my ip address?

I know the range of ports for my vlan but how do i exacty find out which one is for my machine. IP of my machine is static. I can not see the label on the network port frm which I am getting onto the network.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

You can go to the switch, and give a show mac-address-table or show cam dynamic, (command depends on switch). The mac-address of your PC will be associated with the corresponding port on your switch. You can use "ipconfig /all" or winipcfg on your PC (depends on OS) to find out your MAC address. Hope that helps.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

You can go to the switch, and give a show mac-address-table or show cam dynamic, (command depends on switch). The mac-address of your PC will be associated with the corresponding port on your switch. You can use "ipconfig /all" or winipcfg on your PC (depends on OS) to find out your MAC address. Hope that helps.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Thanks!

konigl
Level 7
Level 7

If you know your MAC address of your NIC, you can just telnet the switch(es) and run one of the following commands:

For Catalyst OS switches like the 4000, 5000, 6000 series:

show cam 01-23-45-67-89-10

For Cisco IOS switches like the 2950, 3500, or 3550 series:

show mac-address-table address 0123.4567.8910

where 012345678910 is the MAC address of your NIC.

If you don't know the MAC address of a machine, but you know its IP address, from a router on the same subnet ping the IP address, then run this command:

show ip arp 10.20.30.40

where 10.20.30.40 is the IP address you are trying to get a MAC address for. Once you get the MAC address, search the tables as described previously.

If the MAC address shows up on a switch port that you know to be a connection to another switch, then you need to trace it on that other switch until you find an access port where that MAC address resides.

Hope this helps.