cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Mining CiscoWorks data for other apps.

mbrown
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to mine the RME data for automated export to other applications? In particular, I would like to be able to pull the RME inventory into Peregrine for centralized asset management.

Another thing I would like to explore is the possibility of using data from the Device Fault Manager to open help desk tickets in Peregrine.

Any ideas?

7 Replies 7

minielsen
Level 2
Level 2

You can export the inventory DB in e.g. CSV format, but it's a manual process if you use RME. There is no command for this to the best of my knowledge.

RME is runing on an embeded Sybase (Anywhere I think). There is a CLI for SQL and you can also access it using ODBC. I have no knowledge about the datastrutures and I have never seen any descriptions, but a bit of reverse engineering can't be that difficult.

How can I get a CLI for SQL?

We have RME 3.3 running in a SUN E3500. The RME database is SQLAnyWhere (default). I've created SQL queries using the web page http://rme:1741/dbreader/dbreader.html. The exhibited results are the ones that us wanted, but the interface is not simple for the user.

I wish to analyze the RME data using custom tools developed with Visual Studio (in a W2K workstation). How can I access the RME database through ODBC? How to export the syslog messages to another database?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

rmushtaq
Level 8
Level 8

One way in RME is to Export to File via the RME GUI. OR you can try using the DevExp script from: http://sourceforge.net/projects/cosi-nms which does the same as Export to File in RME does, but from CLI. Try it first on your test systems before using it on the actual live CW2000 box.

I follow you, and I know about the export tool. What I'm trying to do is automate the export such that it will automatically populate the asset management tool in Peregrine. Do you know of anyone who has successfully set something like that up?

Once the scripts automates the data export, you should be able to import in other apps.

I looked for the DevExp tool, but it does not seem to exist on sourceforge anymore. Do you (does anyone) have a sample of a script that I could use to set this up?