cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Best Product to Use

mikeysee2868
Level 1
Level 1

I have a client that is looking to replace their existing Symantec Enterprise Firewall/VPN solution with a Cisco solution. Currently, their requirements are as follows: They have a full T-1 frame line coming into a Cisco 2600 router. They have approximately 20 users on the network who need to have access to the Internet, FTP and secure FTP and Internet. In addition, there are approximately 10 users who need access to the LAN via VPN connection (concurrent connections from different access points). Lastly, there is an internal secure ftp server which need to be accessed by users outside the network. I have used Cisco PIX appliances in the past, but am curious what product you would suggest for this. Thank you.

2 Replies 2

RichardSW
Level 1
Level 1

The scenario sounds like a perfect candidate for the Cisco ASA 5510. It basically takes the features from the PIX and VPN Concentrator and combines them into a mid-level appliance. You could use one of the interfaces as a DMZ for your FTP server. If you want to add some more security to the solution, you could get the AIP Module which runs the IPS 5.x software and will monitor all of the interfaces. When I researched it before, I was surprised to find how well it performed given that it was targeted for mid-level business. Also, the cost of the ASA+AIP was the same as a new PIX. I believe instead of an AIP module you have the option to install a vpn acccelerator module or an AV module.

Thanks for the reply. I'll check it out.