cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Extremely poor performance on VMS 2.1/IDM

csimpson
Level 1
Level 1

I have two sites in which I'm managing & monitoring my CSIDS appliances with VMS 2.1 IDM & Security Monitor (W2K SP3). When I connect to the Cisco Works servers (either one) via the web interface (port 1741) I am experiencing extremely slow response. It take approximately 5-10 minutes before I am given the opportunity to log on. I don't know what the problem is, but I have eliminated several possibilities:

Not a hardware resource problem. Ran performance monitoring utilities on both servers (dual Xeons with 2GB RAM each)... not even getting close to maxing out the resources.

Not a network issue. Even attempting to open the web console on the local machine takes just as long.

For the most part, Cisco Works and VMS 2.1 were installed with the default settings. Once I do successfully log on, the performance isn't too bad. Each server is monitoring only 5 sensor appliances (one 4230 and four 4210s).

Does anyone have any suggestions?

6 Replies 6

5mlattimore
Level 1
Level 1

You might try running perfmon to get a sense of what is occurring when you open the console. Create a few logs checking memory, IO, disk activity and cpu.

Also try task manager to get a sense of what processes are running when you experience the slowdown

Where is the swapfile located?

While mine is on the same partition, I dont see that type of a delay. Are you patched to SP2?

hehe also we were quite surprised to learn that the CW2k is not supported on Advanced Server (!) We tried, but we couldnt make it happen :) So hopefully that is not an issue with you?

Hope this is helpful.

Good luck.

Thanks for the suggestions, but I've tried everything that you mentioned... and I am running standard w2k server with sp3

I thought that VMS 2.1 was only tested with Win2kSp2 not Service Pack 3. When you try to install common services it gives you that warning message. I do not know if this is related to your problem but it might.

Are you running IDS Event Viewer on the same machine you connect to the VMS with? Could be a javascript problem.

No, I'm not running IDS EV on this machine. I've tried it on several different machines... even on different networks. I'm baffled.

How about running a sniffer or ethereal trace to see if its related to some type of name resolution issue?

Also is this a dedicated machine? I discovered an issue with SQL trying to install the new Cisco Threat Response on the VMS 2.1 server that hosts the IDS MC. Apparently CTR requires a dedicated machine.

Only other areas I could point you to is antivirus or other software running on the box?

That point made about the SP3 is worth looking into. We have had a few surprise in this area before

Good luck