cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV042 Multiple subnet question

hernandes.sousa
Level 1
Level 1

I'd like to set each individual LAN port with different address i.e. LAN 1 192.168.1.1 and LAN 2 10.1.1.1 instead of using the multiple subnet feature and having all ports replying for the addresses created. Is this possible?

Thanks

3 Replies 3

Te-Kai Liu
Level 7
Level 7

The built-in DHCP Server on RV042 can only give out IP address from a single pool. As long as the computers in other subnets can get their IP addresses somehow, e.g. statically assigned, RV042 can handle the internet connectivity for all of them.

Right, but is it possible to assign specific IP addresses to specific interfaces? i.e. based on my first example I don't want LAN2 to respond to a ping to 192.168.1.1 as I don't want LAN 1 to respond to 10.1.1.1, apparently when you use the multiple subnets feature all LAN ports reply to the addresses created and I don't want that. Is there a way to accomplish this?

hamalhi
Level 1
Level 1

Good afternoon,

Thanks for using our forum

HiHernandes Sousa Hernandes Sousa, my name is Haider and I am part of the Small Business Support Community. I tried to replicate your network and discovered that there are two ways to set/configure LAN port with different address i.e. LAN 1  192.168.1.1 and LAN 2  10.1.1.1 instead of using the Multiple Subnet  feature and having all ports replying for the addresses created:

• through  the help of an access-list because different LANs on a router will ping each other no matter what as they are physically connected by the  router. So, access list could be an option.
  • through disabling Dynamic Host Control Protocol (DHCP). This will prevent the host to get an IP address and will help to stay in its own different network.

I hope you find this information useful, also please do let me know how this works out.

Greetings,

Haider Ali Malhi

Small Business Content Developer