cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Fabric Manager installation problem

cineca
Level 1
Level 1

We are trying to install Cisco Fabric Manager for MDS9000 Famliy Rel. 5.0(4c) on a
Windows 2008_R2_SP2 machine, running java version 1.6.0_24 .

While installing PostgreSQL8.2 we get an error:  “Failed to run initdb: -1073741502" 
(see attached file for error details)

Looking at the internet we found some reports of similar cases: someome says that there is an
incompatibility between Terminal Service end PostgreSQL ("Currently, if Terminal Services is installed
on Windows 2008 Server, PostgreSQL installation will fail with this error"), suggesting to
*uninstall* uninstall Terminal Services, but we need such a Service.

Some other says that "whilst PostgreSQL will run on a server running Terminal Services,
it must be installed from the system console": we tried to install from console but
the problem still occurs.

The same installation does work on Windows XP machine.

Can someone confirm that Windows 2008 and Fabric Manager Rel. 5.0(4c) are not compatible ?
There is some workaround or some specific release that solve such a problem ?

Thank You and Best Regards,

Alessandro Asson

4 Replies 4

kenk
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Alessandro,

Per the FM 5.0(4c) release notes, Win2k8 SP2  & jave 1.6 are supported.  Here's a link to the

release notes:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/mds9000/sw/5_0/release/notes/fm/fm_rel_notes_504c.html#wp688816

Regards,
Ken

Yes, I see.. though I don't understand the reason of the issue.

Maybe we will open a Case to Cisco TAC.

Thank you, Ken for your help

Best Regards,

Alessandro

Hi Alessandro,

I'v experciende the same problem installing either 5.0(4b) en 5.0(4d) on W2008R2.

Finally found it to be the 'Secondary Logon' service. By default this service is not started (Manual).

After starting the service we were able to install FM.

Best regrads,

Mark.

Hi everybody,

Mark, thank you for posting that solution!  I'm sure that Alessandro will mark your post as Correct Answer once he validates in in their environment, so that this post becomes extra visible for other users with the same concern.

I'd like to add also the following workaround to this issue: Fabric Manager also supports Oracle XE as an alternative backend.  Some people prefer this to PostgreSQL,often because a lot of Oracle knowledge and experience already exists in their environment.

The procedure to go this way is documented here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/switches/datacenter/mds9000/sw/5_0/configuration/guides/fund/fm/gs.html#wp668485

Alessandro, I hope one of the answers in this thread solves your issue!

best regards,

Kris