Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Pim Bidir on Cat4948

bssmith10
Level 1
Level 1

We are trying to configure ip pim bidir on a catalyst

4948 running 1212.2(50)SG, and the only available commands are ip pim bidir-offer-[interval/limit].  I am unable to find any documenation on Cisco.com relating to these two options; everything I find just discusses ip pim bidir-enable.  We are having issues getting bidir multicast to pass through our 4948 box and believe it is related to the bidir command (currently configured as ip pim bidir-offer-limit 5).  Can anyone provide a link to documentation or provide a suggested solution as to what command should be used just to enable bidir multicast?  Thanks!!!

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

bssmith10 wrote:

We are trying to configure ip pim bidir on a catalyst

4948 running 1212.2(50)SG, and the only available commands are ip pim bidir-offer-[interval/limit].  I am unable to find any documenation on Cisco.com relating to these two options; everything I find just discusses ip pim bidir-enable.  We are having issues getting bidir multicast to pass through our 4948 box and believe it is related to the bidir command (currently configured as ip pim bidir-offer-limit 5).  Can anyone provide a link to documentation or provide a suggested solution as to what command should be used just to enable bidir multicast?  Thanks!!!

I don't know what the ip pim bidir-offer ... command does but i do know that only the 4900M switch supports bi-directional PIM. On the 4948 you are limited to PIM Sparse and Dense mode -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12.2/50sg/configuration/guide/mcastmls.html#wp1237902

Jon

Thanks for the reply and link.  Until our box can be replaced, is there a known alternate solution to get "hoot 'n holler" or bidir type multicast traffic to traverse the 4948 box?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card