Views
Helpful
Replies

WAN Edge router Suggestion required

zeshan_un_nabi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

My current WAN Capacity is 300 Meg and we are currently using 3845 router, it remains 85 % in production hours with WAN utilization of 160+ Meg.

I need suggestion, should i go for Cisco 3945E ( with approx 400 Meg WAN capacity as per Cisco ) or Cisco ASR 1001 ( with 2.5 - 5.0 Gb )

I also plan to increase my WAN Capacity in near future, so i really need that thing that can serve me for next 5 years atleast.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

The ASR is superior on performance, which doesn't have much to do with size of device.  However, the 3945E does have more room for card expansion vs. the 1001, making it superior in that regard.  However, there are also larger ASR 1000s, that provide for more expansion cards, e.g. ASR 1004, 1006 or the 1013.

However, much of the newer, high bandwidth, "WAN" hand-offs are Ethernet connections.  How many would you need?  (Incidentally, module slots on a 3900  probably support less bandwidth than an ASR module slots.)

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Well, you'll need to tell us what your WAN speed is going to be like in 5 years.  For 300 Mbps, ideally, a router like the 4451-X would be sufficient.  But if you're going to upgrade, for example, your WAN to a 1 Gbps link the then 4451-X would not be able to support the bandwidth.  

thanks Leo for replying.

Yes we may upgrade to 1Gbps in five years, also i was doing some costing and concluded from the quote of my vendor that price of Cisco 3945E and ASR 1001 are almost same, so considering this fat, should i go for ASR 1001? 

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

If you're really getting the same price for a 3945E and an ASR 1001, I would recommend the ASR as it has much more capacity.  (NB: You might also want to price out the new ASR 1001-X.)

Thanks, and just one concern in my mind?

3945E is 3RU and ASR1001 just 1RU, so why ASR being superior just with 1RU ?

Disclaimer

Liability Disclaimer

Posting

The ASR is superior on performance, which doesn't have much to do with size of device.  However, the 3945E does have more room for card expansion vs. the 1001, making it superior in that regard.  However, there are also larger ASR 1000s, that provide for more expansion cards, e.g. ASR 1004, 1006 or the 1013.

However, much of the newer, high bandwidth, "WAN" hand-offs are Ethernet connections.  How many would you need?  (Incidentally, module slots on a 3900  probably support less bandwidth than an ASR module slots.)

Y'know this is a trick, right?  

Both 3945E and ASR 1K can handle 1 Gbps ... but NOT 1-Gbps-per-interface.  The entire chassis can push up-to/around 1 Gbps.  

It's not just as simple as getting an ASR 1K and happily-ever-after.   Do you want 1-Gbps-per-interface?

it would not be really 1Gbps per interface.

What you recommend 3945E or ASR1001 ? ( if i am getting both at almost same price ? )

HI zeshan, depending on the WAN usage that you will predict for the next 5 years like you said you are already at 85% as of now how the next up coming years? try to predict the network growth within that time and go for the best option depending on your prediction but of course if you want to be safe i'd go for the bigger capacity. if you need further help or have any questions please feel free to send me a message. 

Thanks

fguasque@cisco.com

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card