cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

home cisco phone system

tristanholmes
Level 1
Level 1

Hi I just wanted to know if its possible to have a cisco phone system at home because I have 3 cisco 7841 phones that are non 3pcc.

if I need more hardware what will I need.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Martin L
VIP
VIP

For home Voice lab you will need a Voice router like old 2800s or newer 2900s.  You can get those used and cheap on ebay but make sure  they come with 256RAM and preferably with IOS 15.  There are switching modules for those as well so then u do not need switch but if not, then u need c3750 PoE or c3650 PoE switches.

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

View solution in original post

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes, it can be done without converting the phones into 3PCC/MPP. 

To integrate the phones to non-Cisco call servers, prepare the following:

1.  A known working SEPmacaddress.xml.cnf configuration template (suitable for 78xx &/or 88xx);
2.  A dial plan;
3.  A TFTP server;
4.  Firmware for the phone; and
5.  DHCP Option 150.

On the router, make sure to prepare the following: 

1.  Disable NAT; and
2.  Disable SIP ALG

Hope this helps. 

NOTE:  I would consider getting a PoE switch because it will more convenient than getting power injectors.  There are 8- and 12-port PoE switches that are fanless (quiet operation) that would be suitable for home use.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Martin L
VIP
VIP

For home Voice lab you will need a Voice router like old 2800s or newer 2900s.  You can get those used and cheap on ebay but make sure  they come with 256RAM and preferably with IOS 15.  There are switching modules for those as well so then u do not need switch but if not, then u need c3750 PoE or c3650 PoE switches.

Regards, ML

will i need to buy a poe switch if i have the power cord

no, of course not.  Use phone power supply but then u have 2 cables (Ethernet and power cord) -less mobile that way.

Since there should be no Price difference between PoE and non-PoE, I would get PoE switch. 

Regards, ML

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes, it can be done without converting the phones into 3PCC/MPP. 

To integrate the phones to non-Cisco call servers, prepare the following:

1.  A known working SEPmacaddress.xml.cnf configuration template (suitable for 78xx &/or 88xx);
2.  A dial plan;
3.  A TFTP server;
4.  Firmware for the phone; and
5.  DHCP Option 150.

On the router, make sure to prepare the following: 

1.  Disable NAT; and
2.  Disable SIP ALG

Hope this helps. 

NOTE:  I would consider getting a PoE switch because it will more convenient than getting power injectors.  There are 8- and 12-port PoE switches that are fanless (quiet operation) that would be suitable for home use.