Views
Helpful
Replies

DNS migration

gavin han
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

we are migrating dns server from our ISP to our own box. please advise what steps should be taken to accomplish this?

4 Replies 4

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Gavin,

I suggest the following sequence of steps:

1. Install the new DNS server and populate it with the copy of the current  zone. After this is done, declare it as the master server (not a  secondary/slave server).
  2. On both the new and current DNS servers, add a new NS record pointing to your new DNS server. Increase the zone  serial number so that this information is propagated to all current slave  servers.
  3. In your parent zone, a new NS Resource Record (RR) needs also to be added that points to your new DNS server. The existing NS record pointing to the current DNS server shall remain in place and it should not be modified as of yet.
  4. On the current DNS server, lower the TTL of all RRs in your zone to a low value - 60 seconds would be reasonable. The TTL on your new server should remain on a default value - 3 hours are recommended.
  5. After a time period (depends on the TTL of the records in your parent zone), ask the maintainer of your parent zone to remove the NS record pointing to the current DNS server, and leave only the record towards your new server.
  6. After another time period, the current DNS server can be deactivated.

Best regards,

Peter

Hi,

I've been searching for good tutorial for detailed information about DNS but no luck yet. can you/someone please give me link or something for pretty good DNS tutorial please. i'll be very thankful.

Thanks.

would you please advise how do we change our "domain server" names that appears in whois.com? do we have to go  through registrar and current DNS provider?

Hi,

I've migrated all zones to the new DNS server and want to do some taste to make sure everything is working fine as expected...

so initially i would like to taste low priority zones first...what would be best practice? will have to contact registrar to have them point to our dns server for these low priority zones?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card