Replies

AIR-AP1825i-A-K9 Signal Range

ROZAMX
Spotlight
Spotlight

Dear all,

Hopefully you are doing great. Please help. I have a couple of access points:

AIR-AP1825i-A-K9

But I really would like to know if there Is a document regarding the specs Signal Range I tried to search but without success.

Cheers,

ROZA.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You wont see anything official from Cisco on any AP signal range with maybe the exception of the highly directional antennas or the Fluid Mesh APs.

What you might find is the polar charts for the AP showing the antenna propagations.

This is due to as Scott said there are multiple things that affect the range - Band and/or  Channel utilised, Transmit Power, AP mounting, Enviromental factors etc.

If you were to place one in the middle of a football oval you would probably find it covers the entire oval, but is it useable coverage?? Can the wireless device actually hear the signal and transmit back and have the AP hear it?

If your just after the theoretical maximum distance the AP can send signal then the laws of physics will be able to be used to calculate this via the Free Space Path Loss formula

HaydnAndrews_0-1671485895102.png

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Roza,

Signal range varies depending on attenuation you get from wall, glass, people, etc. also there is more attenuation the higher the hertz. So from 2.4ghz to 5ghz. You must also consider the devices you are using to connect to wireless. Attenuation affects those devices also. Some might have a specific EIRP output vs others which will be a variable on that devices signal strength to a given access point.
Site survey is the best way to determine how many AP’s you need and where they should be mounted.
-Scott

Dear Scott,

I absolutely agree regarding what you said but I really want to know if there is a official document regarding the Signal Range. I understood your point of View but also Is necessary a document as a site survey, what Is that could you share More info about It.

Really appreciated your quickly response.

ROZA.

@ROZAMX wrote:
I absolutely agree regarding what you said but I really want to know if there is a official document regarding the Signal Range. 

If the AP is deployed on a table, in a large property with no obstacles around it, then the 5.0 Ghz would be able to transmit and receive to about 40 metres.

Could you please provide a document regarding what you said after that I'm going to Accept this reply as a solution.

There is no documentation stating signal range. Even if you check other manufacturers, they will not have anything posted. They will only provide the power levels and antennas gain.  You have to figure out the signal range for your environment. My suggestion would be to have a site survey performed or get your hands on an access point and configure that for site survey mode or Mobility Express and test with a few devices, like a couple laptops and mobile devices. That will tell you what the signal range is for that given area. 

-Scott

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You wont see anything official from Cisco on any AP signal range with maybe the exception of the highly directional antennas or the Fluid Mesh APs.

What you might find is the polar charts for the AP showing the antenna propagations.

This is due to as Scott said there are multiple things that affect the range - Band and/or  Channel utilised, Transmit Power, AP mounting, Enviromental factors etc.

If you were to place one in the middle of a football oval you would probably find it covers the entire oval, but is it useable coverage?? Can the wireless device actually hear the signal and transmit back and have the AP hear it?

If your just after the theoretical maximum distance the AP can send signal then the laws of physics will be able to be used to calculate this via the Free Space Path Loss formula

HaydnAndrews_0-1671485895102.png

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card