Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1262AP

Tracy Beekman
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have asked before, but still having a problem that I guess I am not getting.  I have a 1262.  I have two antenna.  One that is omni at 5Ghz for outside and another that is a 2.4Ghz omni.  I can connect to the 2.4Ghz inside the building but for some reason am not able to see the 5Ghz side.  Here is the config I have on the device.  As you can see, both radio interfaces are up and it is a very simple config....does anybody see what I am doing wrong?  Thanks in advance for the help.

!

version 12.4

no service pad

service timestamps debug datetime msec

service timestamps log datetime msec

service password-encryption

!

hostname DuncanvilleParksAP

!

logging rate-limit console 9

enable secret 5 $1$LImF$hW8sBN5nFexsqD8KHgc.31

!

no aaa new-model

clock timezone -0600 -6

clock summer-time -0500 recurring

ip domain name duncanville.com

!

!

dot11 syslog

!

dot11 ssid DuncanvilleParks

authentication open

guest-mode

!

!

!

username admin secret 5 $1$zOOH$g1pySQP9sHqiBFsW/oIO10

!

!

bridge irb

!

!

interface Dot11Radio0

no ip address

no ip route-cache

!

ssid DuncanvilleParks

!

antenna gain 0

station-role root

world-mode dot11d country-code US both

bridge-group 1

bridge-group 1 subscriber-loop-control

bridge-group 1 port-protected

bridge-group 1 block-unknown-source

no bridge-group 1 source-learning

no bridge-group 1 unicast-flooding

bridge-group 1 spanning-disabled

!

interface Dot11Radio1

no ip address

no ip route-cache

!

ssid DuncanvilleParks

!

antenna gain 0

dfs band 3 block

speed  basic-6.0 9.0 12.0 18.0 24.0 36.0 48.0 54.0 m0. m1. m2. m3. m4. m5. m6. m7. m8. m9. m10. m11. m12. m13. m14. m15.

channel dfs

station-role root

world-mode dot11d country-code US both

bridge-group 1

bridge-group 1 subscriber-loop-control

bridge-group 1 port-protected

bridge-group 1 block-unknown-source

no bridge-group 1 unicast-flooding

!

interface GigabitEthernet0

no ip address

no ip route-cache

duplex auto

speed auto

no keepalive

bridge-group 1

!

interface BVI1

ip address 10.10.10.2 255.255.255.0

no ip route-cache

!

ip default-gateway 10.10.10.1

ip http server

no ip http secure-server

ip http help-path

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/779/smbiz/prodconfig/help/eag

bridge 1 route ip

!

!

!

line con 0

line vty 0 4

login local

!

end

28 Replies 28

what is the downtilt on the antenna?  If it's mounted high and it's pointed straight up, the eplane may not be reaching down to where the clients are.

HTH,
Steve

-----------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

there is no downtilt on the antenna.  It is point straight up.  It is omnidirectional.  Should that put out a 360 spray or am I naive to think that??

well, 360 out from the antenna yes.  but it's not straight down.

take a look at the guide for the antenna, especially the e-plane pattern.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/antenna/installation/guide/ant5160v.html

HTH,
Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am using my iPhone to try and find the signal.

iPhone 3 or 3S does not have 802.11a antenna.

I have tried it at different places, but usually 3 to 4 hundred feet away from the building the atenna is mounted on. 

This could be your culprit as wifi is not designed to go that far even with external antenna like the 5160V.    How HIGH from the ground is this antenna mounted?

So, what I haven't said is that the extension cable I am using is 200ft.

I am no electrical or radio engineer but this is very, very long.  The longer the cable the higher the signal loss.  And you're even operating WITHOUT a signal booster.

Yes....as you and Steve have been helping me with this and giving more information, I have been researching more on that info (odd how you can't seem to find answers until someone points you in that direction).  With a 200ft coax, that is up to 60% signal loss.  Cisco says up to 822 ft signal radius in perfect conditions, I have essentially cut that down to 300 ft with the cable and with it mounted high on a building with no tilt, I would get absolutely nothing.  I was under the impression that the antenna put out a 360 degree spherical signal, but have seen that that is not true.  I am going to take the antenna down tomorrow, plug directly in to the AP and see what I get.  I should have a GREAT signal on my iPhone then.  I have a 4S.  After I have proven that it is the cable causing most of the problems, I will more than likely purchase a 100ft ULL cable from Cisco (I have to get it out of the building somehow), put some tilt on it, and lower it.    Would yall recommend a signal booster either way for it though?  My thoughts are a definite yes, but it is always good to hear a yes or no from the experts.  Again, I can't thank either of you enough for your help and advice.  I would still be scratching my head.  Hopefully as I get more into this, I will be able to give the great tips and advice that you both have.

Thanks,

Tracy

200' of LMR400 on the 5ghz will give you approximately 20db of loss.  So if your TX power is at 20db + your 6db antenna gain, you have and actual EIRP of 6db of signal.  That equals to around 3mW for your TX power.  300' you would have around 30db of loss so you would have a -4db signal:)  You also need to take a db off for every connector inline.

Now if you were running LMR600 (real thick cable) you would have around 13.6db loss at 200'.

http://www.timesmicrowave.com/cgi-bin/calculate.pl

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Would yall recommend a signal booster either way for it though?  My thoughts are a definite yes, but it is always good to hear a yes or no from the experts.

You will most likely to be the second person I've known (since this year) to employ a signals booster.  But it won't benefit anything.

The reason is simple:  Let's say you put your antenna on a tower and you have a signal booster.  Fine at, say 200 feet away, the iPhone can "hear" the signal, however, the antenna cannot "hear" the return from the iPhone.   Wireless is an I-can-hear-you-can-you-hear-me system.  If the WAP can't hear the return then there's no-snowball-chance-in-he1l this is going to work.

Tracy Beekman
Level 1
Level 1

Alrighty....so, I took the 5GHz antenna down and plugged it directly into the AP.  Got nothing!!  Disabled the 2.4GHz radio, and got nothing again.  So, it would seem, that even though the 5GHz side is showing as up, it is not Tx or Rx.  Soooo.......   Do that make sense to anybody?

just to be safe, can you snap a picture of the AP with the antenna connected?

HTH,
Steve

HTH,
Steve

Ummm...Im not sure if I should reply with a gleeful "You betcha" or be completely offended? 

If you really would like me to, I can, but I assure you that the antenna was plugged in to the correct spot, and on the off chance that it was a bad antenna port, I tried A, B, and C ports on the 5GHz side.

I"m not trying to be offensive, it just helps me when I can see.  But if you had the antenna on the 5GHz A or B and didn't see anything, then it could be the antenna or the AP.

HTH,
Steve

HTH,
Steve

Oh...I wasn't offended at all, or thinking you were trying to be.  So, I was leaning towards a "bad" device as well.  I don't think the antenna is even a question right now.  I was standing over the AP with my iPhone trying to connect with the 5GHz side and didn't see it at all.  So, it would seem all of this for a BAD device!!  You know, Foxconn is only a 4 hour drive from me.  Wonder what they would think if I personally brought it down to them!!!!!!  LOL 

I'll agree with Steve's request.  Please take a picture.  This setup is getting mighty odd!

So, it would seem, that even though the 5GHz side is showing as up, it is not Tx or Rx.

Stupid question:  Did you (or anyone), by any chance, crank DOWN the power of the radio?

The power was not touched.  I set everything up as far as range and throughput through the web interface of the device.  Both of the radios was set for "best for range", but with the problem of me standing right over the AP with my phone trying to connect and not seeing it at all and with Steve saying it as well, I think the radio on the 5Ghz side must be bad.  I have contacted my vendor and asked for a replacement.  We will see from there. 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card