Views
Helpful
Replies

Mobile phones dont get internet access through WLC4402

reklaw_99
Level 1
Level 1

Hey all-

I have a WLC 4402 on my network.  Recently mobile phones can connect to the wireless network and obtain a valid IP address.  This IP is pingable from a workstation anywhere else on the network.  However, these phones will not display web pages.  They come up page cannot be displayed.  I even tried putting Google's IP address in the phone's browser and it still did not display.  I can connect through the same WLAN via a laptop or iPad.  These devices have no problem displaying web pages.  I even went ahead and created a new TESTWLAN with no encyption but to no avail.  Same results:  laptops connect and display web pages and smart phones connect, gain IP but do not display web pages.  Comes up page cannot be displayed.  This matters not whether its an iPhone or Android platform.

I updated the firmware on the controller last week to the lastest version, thinking that may resolve the issue.  I can confirm the upgrade was successful and all the APs are up to date as well.

Any ideas on where to go from here?  I appreciate your help and feedback in advance.

Regards,

Jack-

9 Replies 9

grabonlee
Level 4
Level 4

Could you check to see if the laptops or PCs on your network have a proxy server address in the internet settings

Hey Osita-

No machines use a proxy server.

If you have other devices that are fine using the same SSID, and the mobile phones have network connectivity when connectd, but fails when trying to access the internet.  Doesn't seem to be a wireless issue with the WLC.  It almost looks like something is blocking that traffic for those devices on your network.  Now i'm assuming all mobile devices are affected.... correct?  You have NAC/ISE in place or something that is doing profiling? 

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Guys,

I know this is a very old post.

Our environment is also having a similar issue.

Laptops and mobiles get ip address  but mobile users cannot access internet on other hand laptop users can access internet.

Any help will be appreciated.

Regards.

khem

grabonlee
Level 4
Level 4

Hi

It would help if you could list devices in your wireless network setup apart from the AP and WLC. It's obvious that there is an access control in place to block non-domain devices from using certain resources. To confirm this, try and connect a laptop not on your domain to the wireless network and see if it produces the same result as the mobile devices.

No problems with laptops, whether they are joined to the domain or not.

Does your phone have a DNS server properly configured?

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Jack:
From what you listed I understand:

- problem with only specific devices (handheld devices) while laptops work fine.

- Used different SSID on same VLAN with open security and it is still showing same problem.

- Putting the IP address itself (not URL) still not working.

I want to ask some more questions:

- Does it work to ping the default gateway?

- Do you have any Firwalls/IPSs? have you checked logs for those for any matchs with your clients?

Amjad

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

So it looks like this a honeycomb/gingerbread issue.  Newer Android devices with ICS installed on them can connect through the controller without an issue.

Jack-

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card