cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Managing an MPLS Network on a Campus Environment???

gmaccisco1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

A former co-worker of mine posed a question to me and I didn't have an answer to help him: managing an MPLS network ona Campus Environment???

I have worked on ISPs, teir one provider and have implemented MPLS on BGP back in 2000 but I have not heard about using MPLS on a campus Network!? may be my knowledge is rusting, i don't know.

any thoughts, input, directions you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Thax,

Masood

4 Replies 4

mmelbourne
Level 5
Level 5

Running MPLS within a campus network is entirely possible, but I suppose the question is why do you need to run MPLS? If you need to accommodate third party networks which may not be under your control then MPLS VPNs (Layer 2 or Layer 3) may be useful. However, VRF-lite may be able to offer similar functionality depending on the size of the network.

miheg
Level 5
Level 5

AFAIK all that is important is that there is ip connectivty between the Ciscoworks server and the device.

There might be other problems (if you have some NAT goning on as well) that you need to address so ciscoworks can identify the sourcedevices of a trap or syslog.

Keep in mind that ciscoworks doesn't have any dedicated tools to diag MPLS enviroments.

Cheers,

Michel

I beleive they the CiscoWorks LMS and VMS installed. my question was really what to be used to manage such MPLS network in a CAmpus Envirobment.

Thx,

Masood

Have a look at ISC 4.1, it may have some of the functionality you are looking for:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/rtrmgmt/isc/4_1/docguide/docguide.htm